PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GIMP is annoying me

Andavane
April 25th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think GIMP is really great and I want to start learning it properly. However,all the dialogs and menus seem to have been moved as the version changes.

For example, I wanted to lighten shadows and it took me ages to find the correct menu/submenu. Youtube tutorials had just the guides I want, but again, the version they used (or the written tutorial) did not match up.

The guides/tutorials I saw used 2.1 & 2.6 and I have 2.6.7 here. I eventually found that I get to the layers dialogue by pressing ctr-L but this isn't in any of the drop-down layers for 2.6.7.

I'm keeping at it, but it is tiring!

Am I missing something? :confused:

Any suggestions appreciated!

Regards,
John

NB: In this version 2.6.7 I found: "which can be found in the active image as follows
Windows Dockable Dialogs Layers"

Source: http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/gimp/layers.html
Just found this as a great source for studying - just where I want to be.

Irony
April 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM
To add tabs click where the mouse arrow is;

http://i43.tinypic.com/20jqvjr.jpg

Andavane
April 26th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Oh I see ~ the tiny little thing there I missed - Thanks!

They don't tell you that bit :o

Thanks for the tip!

Regards, John

rewyllys
April 26th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think GIMP is really great and I want to start learning it properly. However,all the dialogs and menus seem to have been moved as the version changes. . . .

To start learning GIMP properly, you would find either or both of the following books to be quite helpful:

Peck, Akkana. Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition

van Gumpster, Jason; Shimonski, Robert. GIMP Bible

I've used both books and find them excellent. Peck's book (published in 2009) is a sequence of tutorials that make learning GIMP easy and enjoyable. The "GIMP Bible" was published just last month (March 2010), and is as up-to-date as you can reasonably get--certainly better than the GIMP help files.

Enjoy!

P.S. It's encouraging to see that several books on GIMP have been published relatively recently. There would appear to be a market for them--which is a good thing for the OSS movement.

Kellemora
April 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
My biggest problem with Gimp are MOST of the dialog boxes (Toolbox, etc.) are much taller than my monitor screen. Even with top and bottom panels turned off, I can never get to the necessary function boxes to apply them.

I either have to go a resolution so high I can't read the text or change the refresh rate to really high which causes ripples all over the screen, to make my selection, then set everything back again to continue working.

I have one very old computer with only 256 memory in it, that Gimp seems to display perfectly on. But it's as slow as molasses in the dead of winter.

We need scroll bars or something when the dialog boxes are taller than the screen!
In the example photo shown above, that toolbox would be chopped off just under the word "Layers" I would not see the select box under that, nor anything below that either.

We have 8 computers here and it's like that on 7 of them!

TTUL
Gary

Andavane
April 27th, 2010, 05:40 AM
My biggest problem with Gimp are MOST of the dialog boxes (Toolbox, etc.) are much taller than my monitor screen. Even with top and bottom panels turned off, I can never get to the necessary function boxes to apply them.

We need scroll bars or something when the dialog boxes are taller than the screen!
In the example photo shown above, that toolbox would be chopped off just under the word "Layers" I would not see the select box under that, nor anything below that either.

We have 8 computers here and it's like that on 7 of them!

TTUL
Gary
Gary you can drag the dialogue boxes to any shape you want - they can be tall, square or like letter-boxes.

I appreciate the book suggestions but physical books are difficult for me to handle so I'm still looking for a downloadable manual I can refer to.

It all certainly does look interesting, and I think I'm beginning to understand about the layers now.

Regards,

John

Kellemora
April 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Man, without Layers, we couldn't do half the things we did on those tri-fold flyers we made.

Saves HOURS of set-up and re-set up time each issue!

If you sorta think of graphic work like you do CAD/CAM work, different layers for different aspects of the total project, and make everything you do follow a certain set of guidelines, it makes changes alterations etc. a breeze.

I often see ads here and there with a typo in the text that overlays the images. Once it's flat, it can't be fixed without ruining the background image, UNLESS you maintained your layered files with text on it's own layer, then as I said, it's a snap to fix!

Another trick is to use images double layered, with the text layer between them and fade the top image layer from a highlight focal point, one can get an awesome effect doing that! Makes the text look like it's virtually streaming out of the image itself.

TTUL
Gary

Andavane
April 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
>"If you sorta think of graphic work like you do CAD/CAM work"
Well I don't actually, Kellemora, as I'm just at the beginning of studyig this.

I have a photo of a "Beauty Barlar"
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/4558025821_7d4e959e47.jpg

taken in India before sunrise. There are interesting things in the pic which are hidden, so I thought layers seem to be the key here.

As I'm new I'm still floundering a bit with the best way to go about it.l I want to do it properly. Ye, and from what you say, it looks a very absorbing and satisfying subject, so I'm willing to learn.

--John