View Full Version : How long do you intend to wait to upgrade to Lucid?

April 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM
So, given my past bad experiences with upgrading to a new release right away, I was just curious if anybody else had similar plans to me. Personally, I intend to wait at least three months before upgrading, unless Canonical suddenly announces a killer feature, such as trim. When do you plan to upgrade?

April 24th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I'm already using it, and think it is the best release to date.

April 24th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Installed 10.04 on one PC today, and planning on installing on another tomorrow. Haven't really run into any show stopping bugs from upgrading early.

April 24th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I waited till a couple of days after the start of beta 1, and with me being a noob and have had no real problems with it, I'd say it's noob proof

April 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
If I wasn't already running it (been running it since alpha2) I would have waited a few days for the melee to disperse a bit ;)

April 24th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I'm installing it as soon as it comes out. Currently using Debian Testing but will be switching to 10.04 because:

1. A 6 month release cycle is more stable than a 10 day release cycle. Even if it does mean having outdated software, what good is it when stuff breaks? It's not like 6 months is an excruciatingly long time to wait. Problems in Debian Unstable get fixed faster. But they also occur more frequently.
2. These forums seem to be very active and provide good support.
3. I don't mind playing with certain things. But I was the majority of stuff (like PulseAudio) to work correctly out of the box.
4. I've had bad experiences with OpenSuSE's package management, even if it is otherwise a great distro.

April 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Upgrading to and using the beta has been relatively painless for me this time around :D

April 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I'm planning to jump from 9.10 to 10.10.

April 24th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I usually start using it once the newestversions hit beta 1.

April 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'm planning to jump from 9.10 to 10.10.

Is there any way to do that directly? I've always found that to jump to a later release you have to do all of the upgrades in between.

April 24th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I've got three main boxes.
Box one is going to be a server, and now has B2 on it, and is more of a sandbox atm then anything else.
Box two is my main computer, runs Karmic and I will wait a few months before upgrading since there really isn't a direct need to upgrade it immediately.
Box three is my second main computer which runs Vista, and I want to dump Vista in favor of Ubuntu, but I'm not sure when I'm going to do that [it's a bit big step for me, since I don't do dualbooting and all that stuff, so once that box is converted, there's no more Windows in my house].

April 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I'll be upgrading the day its released. I would have downloaded the beta/RC but I have exams the funny enough end the day Lucid is released and I would have played around too much if I had installed it earlier. I've only had bug problems upgrading to Karmic. Though now I'm just doing a clean install and will always do a clean install and there's much less bugs that way. My friend who has been using it since the beta told me there are some bugs and some things crash sometimes but they are stuff has no idea what they are and never effects him. Full release should be fine it looks amazing.

April 24th, 2010, 04:30 PM
A week or so, because it is released right at the time of my final exams, and I'm not risking anything until they're over.

Frogs Hair
April 24th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I have only used Ubuntu for two months , and just got 9.10 the way I like it . so I think I may wait a while . A lot of time was spent testing programs and themes, and from what I've read about 10.04 there is not a lot of changes.

The fact that Lucid is a LTS release makes it tempting. Much, if not all, of what I have included in 9.10 can be used in 10.04, and I don't have figure out what programs and features I want all over again.

April 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM
My old computer is using Lucid Lynx RC and my main computer is still using Karmic Koala. So I might as well wait for the stable version for my main computer and update my old computer to stable version. Lucid Lynx looks good and hope the upgrade will go smooth.

April 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Is there any way to do that directly? I've always found that to jump to a later release you have to do all of the upgrades in between.

I don't known. When I said I would jump from one to another I meant that I don't plan to install lucid lynx.
My 9.10 works just fine and I spent too much time to put it that way, so I'll keep this one for a while and change when 10.10 comes out.

Btw. Is there another strong reason to install a LTS version instead of keeping up with the *.10 versions besides not wanting to reinstall stuff so frequently?

Cheers :cool:

April 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I will install Lucid Lynx LTS on a old laptop as soon as it comes out, I now have the beta version of Lucid Lynx on that laptop. I am new to Ubuntu, it is just for play and getting to know it better. I have Karmic Koala on one of my pc's, Vector on a really old laptop, cause nothing else will run on that laptop. My main computers have Windows Vista and Windows 7 on them.

April 25th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Been using since even before beta. :D

April 25th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Been using since even before beta. :D

Me too. I always have a dual-boot fallback to the previous version, just in case, but I haven't needed it with Lucid at all.

April 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Its high time for me to upgrade my kernel, should have had done it when karmic was released but I'm glad I didn't :P
so far lucid looks very solid...except for the memory leak bug :(
so I plan to make a fresh install in about 10 or 15 days just to be on the safer side...:P

April 28th, 2010, 09:20 PM
netbook im using it while ill wait again prob in a year & try it on my desktops

April 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I will be waiting at least 3 months before I migrate.

April 28th, 2010, 10:26 PM
does anybody know if the memory leak has been fixed yet ? , iv been out of the loop with assignments and all

Foster Grant
April 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I'm already using it, and think it is the best release to date.

This is why I will upgrade immediately. I've heard nothing bad yet beyond the memory leak bug and it's already been fixed, according to Launchpad.

April 28th, 2010, 10:33 PM
ah thats good to know, thanks

April 28th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I'm already using the beta.

Only real hassle I've had with it is that I can't use Claws email.

Every time that I turn the system off... The next time I turn it on again, The address book, all emails, and all settings are gone from Claws. I have to start all over again from scratch.

I'll probably download the final, sometime this weekend, or next week.

April 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM
does anybody know if the memory leak has been fixed yet ? , iv been out of the loop with assignments and all

the problem was with glx1.4 and i think they will switch back to glx1.2 because they could not fix the bug...:P

April 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Have reserved a partition on my laptop for it and I will make a live CD as soon as poss!

April 29th, 2010, 10:05 AM
waiting till the Linux Mint 9 community edition is released once they've sorted it to work with the new Ubuntu build.

April 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM
With Karmic I waited a bit because I was a bit weary, but Karmic was less-buggier than Jaunty so I'm gonna take a leap of faith with this one and just dive right in! :)

April 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I generally don't reinstall unless I feel I need to, and then I install the latest stable release.

So I might skip 10.04 completely.

April 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
:rolleyes:Who are new at Ubuntu, then my advice - wait 2 month and read at Ubuntu forum about Ubuntu 10.04 and if everything works out only then install and use it.

April 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I have already upgraded a desktop and a laptop.

I works great, and the upgrade was the usual pain with my nvdia drivers.

I have got everything working in a couple of hours.

April 29th, 2010, 11:49 AM

I jump on when the repos open and with the except of on piece of breakage I have been on it ever since.

I plan to jump directly on Maverick the day the repos open. Though perhaps my netbook will run Lucid though I doubt it, I am an active tester it is where I gain my fun.

Stability is for the weak! (famous last words)

April 29th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Stability is for the weak! (famous last words)

Lol, I'm going to quote you on that!

April 29th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'll wait because I prefer to do a clean install so I need to set aside some time for it. In the coming month I think.

April 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I'm upgrading as soon as System76 releases their special drivers for Lucid, so maybe in about a week or two.

April 29th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I actually feel silly waiting. I've never waited for the newest release but for some reason I'm anxious about Lucid and keep checking the Ubuntu link to see if it's ready.

April 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I did a clean install of the RC a few days ago and it has been beautifully quick and 100% stable.

April 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'll wait 1 second after Lynx is released :lolflag:
Gonna install it on my Acer Aspire One A150 alongside XP. If Adobe fixes Flash for Linux or dies a horrible death by HTML5, then I'm completely happy :P

April 29th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Could you just get Sid now and get a jump start on the M and M line?