PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stolen IPOD touch

Zip247
April 24th, 2010, 03:59 AM
My sons ipod was stolen. Before you ask, yes, a police report was filed. Now for my question that makes this fit into the networking and wireless forum.

I know the mac addy of the ipod and I have a good idea of who has the ipod. Is there any package that I can download that will sniff out the mac addy of the ipod if i have my laptop near where i believe it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

jflaker
April 24th, 2010, 04:07 AM
kismet? http://www.kismetwireless.net/

rosanbio
April 24th, 2010, 04:13 AM
if i could rem there are many software which can sniff the mac address, if i remember correctly kismet will sniff the mac address, but not sure about sniffing any mobile devices,.

but do it carefully:lolflag:

gallaau
April 24th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Sure. I assume you ipod was configured to use your wireless AP at your house also.
There are several wireless sniffers that you can download.
I don't have a touch but I assume when it was stolen the wireless was turned on and it is actively seeking a network or your home access point.
Unfortunately you will have to get very close to it and you will be very conspicuous walking around there yard with a laptop.
If you are really going to get into this you will need a directional antenna to DF "directional finding" this device.

Also you might want to call tech support for apple and itunes and let them know it was stolen. They will certainly be able to help if someone tries to register it. You should also have the SN of the device in your itunes app on your computer.

Zip247
April 24th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I already have the serial #, and it is in the police report. From many of my readings on many websites about stolen ipods, apples only stance is to report it to the police. I will look at kismet and see if it will do what I need. Thanks for the replies.