View Full Version : is pc linux a rolling release?

April 23rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
i'm trying a live usb of the gnome version and this is the first distro i've tried where everything worked completely out of the box. i'm actually considering switching from ubuntu so i don't have to reinstall or upgrade every 6 months

April 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Just get Debian testing or, if u like living on the edge, sid. Most packages that are in Ubuntu are in the main repos (no PPAs required), only 1 extra repo is required for multimedia. But then everything is kept at the newest version, excepting the buggy packages.

I switched from Ubuntu to Debian testing and never had any problems, in fact its more stable - maening that everything is working as it should, unlike Ubuntu sometimes - even upgrading certain Gnome core packages (2.28 to 2.30) went without a problem. There are a few bells and whistles missing in the default install compared to Ubuntu (like splash screen etc), but i dont miss them.

April 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
It is officially roling distro. But I do not think that really is. It is more like Debain Sid.

April 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
yes but i'm not looking to go through a bunch of hassle to get things working like i did last time i installed debian

April 23rd, 2010, 02:37 PM
I've heard it's a pretty easy distro, but I don't think they update very often.

You are talking about PCLinuxOS, right?

April 23rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
pc linux os yes. seems pretty good and it's running latest firefox which is nice