PDA

View Full Version : Video driver problems

JoeWheeler
April 23rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
I upgraded to 10.04 via update manaer and now my compiz is broken, I go to visual effects in appearances but whenever I click any of the options it says "searching for drivers". The screen then flickers for a few seconds and it says "desktop effects could not be enabled".

Im using an ibm x40 thinkpad

BrokeMahPC
April 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Can we have info about your hardware and driver, please type these in a terminal:
Code:

lspci | grep VGA Code:

sudo lshw -C video The 2nd command also lists the driver you are using under configuration. Please post the outputs.

It will be intel graphics of some kind.

JoeWheeler
April 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Can we have info about your hardware and driver, please type these in a terminal:
Code:

lspci | grep VGA Code:

sudo lshw -C video The 2nd command also lists the driver you are using under configuration. Please post the outputs.
I've done a fresh install and the problems still there. I think it's something to do with the intel video drivers

This is the first command:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)This is the second(although ive had to boot in failsafe and i dont know if that affects it):

*-display:0 UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:e0000000-e7ffffff(prefetchable) memory:d0000000-d007ffff ioport:1800(size=8)
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:e8000000-efffffff(prefetchable) memory:d0080000-d00fffff

BrokeMahPC
April 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Found this mentioned here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Drivers
About intel drivers under Lucid

For the older 8xx cards, upstream support has been spotty, and there have been numerous bugs reported. Our primary objective is to give users a stable out-of-the-box experience, so this means turning off features (including KMS and 3D) to minimize the frequency of the problems. Part of the problem (both in Ubuntu and upstream) has been lack of hardware for testing. We're a bit worried that some hardware is so obscure that no one is testing it, and issues will only become visible post-release. Is 3D turned off by default for your 8xx card? Is it therefore possible to enable it?
Can I also have the output of this:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
should tell us what modules it is loading

JoeWheeler
April 23rd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Found this mentioned here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Drivers
About intel drivers under Lucid
Is 3D turned off by default for your 8xx card? Is it therefore possible to enable it?
Can I also have the output of this:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.confshould tell us what modules it is loading
Im not sure about 3d being turned off by default

cat: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory

BrokeMahPC
April 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
That is probably normal as you don't always need an xorg.conf.
I am at my limits with this, I'm an ATI man, but try this troubleshooting guide:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/IntelPerformance
The part on "falling back to opengl sofware rendering"
You will find there is some problem with glx or that 3d rendering is disabled for your card and/or it isn't loading the correct modules.
try:

glxinfo | grep render
as it suggests and have a look at this web page:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-97317.html
It's old but likely to be the same problem - good luck!

JoeWheeler
April 23rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all your help!

Ill try following those guides

Edit: Well I can't get it working so I guess I'll just stick with it in failsafe for a few weeks and if it's not fixed by then I'll just have to switch distro

BrokeMahPC
April 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM
To get more info try this:
Install hwinfo:

sudo apt-get hwinfo
then:

hwinfo --gfxcard

May be something in that output that can help - post that too.

usefull tool for getting all sorts of hardware info see:

man hwinfo
for the many options

davidmohammed
April 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Intel drivers for your card 855GM are broken - this is the same situation for most of the new distros out. Its going to take weeks to get this fixed.

I've got the same card in my laptop. This is what I've done to get a working solution:

make sure you boot with i915.modeset=1 in your grub.

download and install the xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.9.1-3ubuntu1_i386.deb package from this link (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcepub/1015446/+listing-archive-extra).

This is an older package than the current driver. When you use update-manager remember to deselect the offer to upgrade to the newer driver.

JoeWheeler
April 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
Well I've downloaded the deb but im not sure how i can uninstall the new xorg to install that one without screwing things up?

glasen
April 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
You can also try a newer version of the intel-driver :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/libdrm
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Warning :

You must activate KMS. Otherwise the driver will not work! There is no non-KMS-mode (aka UMS-mode) since driver-version 2.10!

You can activate KMS by adding the line "i915.modeset=1" to GRUB2 or by editing/generating the file "/etc/modprobe/i915.modeset=1" and changing/adding the following line :

options i915 modeset=1

JoeWheeler
April 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM
You can also try a newer version of the intel-driver :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/libdrm
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradeWarning :

You must activate KMS. Otherwise the driver will not work! There is no non-KMS-mode (aka UMS-mode) since driver-version 2.10!

You can activate KMS by adding the line "i915.modeset=1" to GRUB2
where do i put i915.modeset=1 in my grub file?

glasen
April 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
You must edit the file "/etc/default/grub". Just add the option to the line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX". After this you must execute "sudo update-grub" to apply the changes.

davidmohammed
April 23rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Intel drivers for your card 855GM are broken - this is the same situation for most of the new distros out. Its going to take weeks to get this fixed.

I've got the same card in my laptop. This is what I've done to get a working solution:

make sure you boot with i915.modeset=1 in your grub.

download and install the xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.9.1-3ubuntu1_i386.deb package from this link (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+sourcepub/1015446/+listing-archive-extra).

This is an older package than the current driver. When you use update-manager remember to deselect the offer to upgrade to the newer driver.
you can install the above package via

sudo dpkg -i intel_2.9.1-3ubuntu1_i386.deb

to edit your grub

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

then make sure the following line looks something like
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.modeset=1"

finally update grub

sudo update-grub

JoeWheeler
April 23rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hmmm, enabling the i915.modeset=1 option has allowed me to boot but without desktop effects,
Oh well, just have to cross my fingers that this'll get sorted in a future update

davidmohammed
April 23rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
you need to either downgrade your intel driver as I have described, or upgrade the driver via the glasen ppa.

If you dont do either of the above you cannot have compiz effects etc.

JoeWheeler
April 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Ah I managed to dowgrade, and it's all good, thank you davidmohammed!