PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using ubuntu one features?

x-shaney-x
April 23rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Since my home server blew up I've been intending looking into other ways of synchronising firefox bookmarks, calendar and contacts and the ubuntu one features in lucid seems to fit the bill.

Being able to right click on a folder and automatically have it synced seems so easy but I do have some concerns:

1. It is labelled ubuntu one beta on the site.
2. I have ubuntu one on startup but when I click on the option in the me-menu it brings up a window and it always says disconnected then connects a couple of seconds later.
Am I going to have to manually connect every time I want to sync data? I was hoping it would all be automatic.

So is anyone else using this service/feature and how is it going?

rewyllys
April 23rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Since my home server blew up I've been intending looking into other ways of synchronising firefox bookmarks, calendar and contacts and the ubuntu one features in lucid seems to fit the bill.

Being able to right click on a folder and automatically have it synced seems so easy but I do have some concerns:

1. It is labelled ubuntu one beta on the site.
2. I have ubuntu one on startup but when I click on the option in the me-menu it brings up a window and it always says disconnected then connects a couple of seconds later.
Am I going to have to manually connect every time I want to sync data? I was hoping it would all be automatic.

So is anyone else using this service/feature and how is it going?
As soon as I installed 9.10, I tried for about a week to use Ubuntu One. Unfortunately, my experience was similar to yours.

I finally gave up and installed DropBox, which has worked superbly.

Framli
April 23rd, 2010, 02:01 PM
I have an everyday use of Ubuntu One on two laptops and a N95. Notes (Tomboy), contacts (Evolution), bookmarks (Firefox) and I even got my non-hidden home folders synchronized (everything is synchronized by default every ten minutes, except for files : they synchronize in real time, but I have to admit the synchronization is pretty slow.).
The publish/depublish option is very cool too. Any already synchronized file from nautilus to a working url = less than 5 seconds.

wykedengel
April 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
I'm using SpiderOak until Syncplicity comes out with their Linux client.

lovinglinux
April 23rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
For Firefox sync, see this (http://lovinglinux.megabyet.net/?page_id=220#Backups-1).

Eestlane
April 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
I'll probably start using it when Windows support arrives as my laptop has Windows (too).

opethfan89
April 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
For my bookmark syncing, I use Xmarks (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.xmarks.com) (formerly called foxmarks). It works great, and automatically syncs my bookmarks + passwords if I choose.

x-shaney-x
April 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
I'm not keen on using a separate service/extension for firefox bookmarks.
I only have a few things I want to sync between my comp and the missus' lappy but I would rather they were all done the same way.

I'm a little more worried about ubuntu one at the moment though.
I ran an update earlier and noticed it was one of the things updated.

Now every time I run it from the me-menu it says disconnected, there's nothing in the account details and the upgrade subscription/manage account/support options links are there but unclickable.
Also it won't let me click on the Devices or Services tabs. Or rather I can click on them but it does nothing and doesn't switch to them.
Then when I try to close the window it does nothing so I have to xkill it.

This is exactly what I was worrying about. I know we aren't technically release ready but for it to be failing so close to release day I'm not sure it's something I want to put my trust in.

<EDIT>
I just tried logging in to ubuntu one via the webpage and I get an "Internal Server Error" so the problems I am experiencing may only be temporary but it's all adding to my worries about it.
All this has made me aware of similar services though so will take a look around.