PDA

View Full Version : (RC) Shutdown, Restart, Sound, dead after disabling some startup apps and restarting.

swatspyder
April 23rd, 2010, 05:12 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 RC x64 with all updates current as of 09:00PM PST.

My system is still up after the initial restart and I am currently using it.

Sound Preferences shows that I have no hardware listed and Output shows "Dummy Output"

Startup Applications that I disabled before the initial restart:
Bluetooth Manager
Evolution Alarm Notifier
GNOME Login Sound
Ubuntu One
Visual Assistance.

Edit:
Tested each application one by one. Everything is normal now with all of those disabled. Has since booted up fine.

One thing that was odd was X being in TTY1 and none of the other terminals were available. Just a blinking cursor.

bigsmitty64
April 23rd, 2010, 05:30 AM
I would start by re-enabling one of these at a time,

"Evolution Alarm Notifier
GNOME Login Sound"

to see if maybe one of them is related to this incident? I'd start there maybe?

Someone with more knowledge than I will more than likely have a better answer but, couldn't hurt to try.
Good Luck,
Smitty

EDIT: I clearly overlooked a big part of your post! sorry. You can't shut down? I'd hold the old power button in until it shuts down, but thats just me :)

swatspyder
April 23rd, 2010, 05:33 AM
I would start by re-enabling one of these at a time,

"Evolution Alarm Notifier
GNOME Login Sound"

to see if maybe one of them is related to this incident? I'd start there maybe?

Someone with more knowledge than I will more than likely have a better answer but, couldn't hurt to try.
Good Luck,
Smitty

I would love to test each one by itself, but at the moment, using the power menu, I cannot restart or shutdown. So that is the first issue that needs to be dealt with.

bigsmitty64
April 23rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
at the moment, using the power menu, I cannot restart or shutdown. So that is the first issue that needs to be dealt with.I saw that after the fact. Sorry

swatspyder
April 23rd, 2010, 05:42 AM
I saw that after the fact. Sorry

No problem. :)

bigsmitty64
April 23rd, 2010, 05:45 AM
I'd hold the old power button in until it shuts down, but thats just me :)

I've never had a problem doing that.

VMC
April 23rd, 2010, 06:19 AM
Startup Applications that I disabled before the initial restart:
Bluetooth Manager
Evolution Alarm Notifier
GNOME Login Sound
Ubuntu One
Visual Assistance.

You can rest assured those that you have removed are not causing your problem. I always remove those among several other without any problems.

Are you afraid to use the terminal to shutdown the system?
You can also try the Alt+Sysrq+b for reboot.

swatspyder
April 23rd, 2010, 06:27 AM
You can rest assured those that you have removed are not causing your problem. I always remove those among several other without any problems.

Are you afraid to use the terminal to shutdown the system?
You can also try the Alt+Sysrq+b for reboot.

No, I restarted the system using the terminal in X about 10 min ago. Tried disabling everything one by one. Everything was normal and has since booted up fine with those applications removed.

What is weird though, is that when I tried to go to TTY1, it kept me in X. When I went to TTY2 + it just gave me a blinking cursor. No other terminal was available, and X was on TTY1 instead of TTY7.