PDA

View Full Version : Does xp need sp1,2,3

tkblackbelt
April 22nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
I installed micro xp in virtualbox and it has no service packs would you recommend I get them. What are the benefits of them?

dragos240
April 22nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
MicroXP? You DO realize that slimmed down versions of windows are illegal, unless of course you have a version of windows that you bought.

tkblackbelt
April 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
I have a normal xp cd but use micro since it's faster in virtualbox lol

Teber
April 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
i would install SP3. without it you will get no security updates. otherwise SP2 and SP3 offer some extras you may wish for. no SP2 or SP3 means no more support from MS. SP3 certainly means support until 2014, or so i heard.

if i'm wrong i do hope hope someone will be kind enough to correct me.

antenna
April 22nd, 2010, 10:16 PM
It's perhaps not such a big deal on Virtualbox, but generally yes for security fixes and such. Also a lot of apps will require you to have SP2 at least, so it may be necessary depending on what you want to run.

NCLI
April 22nd, 2010, 10:56 PM
If you do have a legal Windows license, you should get TinyXP. The latest versions has all of the essential updates.

chrisxuk
April 22nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Tut, tut, tut. You should get at least SP2!

LowSky
April 22nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
I remember XP before the service packs, It was lightning fast, but couldn't see hard drives over a certain size and caught viruses like a kid without an imune system.

madhi19
April 22nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
For the love of god let that piece of crap die!!!! Seriously just for security sake if you have to run Windows most of us don't but if you do move to 7!

oldsoundguy
April 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
IF you are running Windows (anywhere .. dual boot/vm/separate box) and are only using it as a base for running non MS but Windows based programs (such as Adobe).. nothing at all wrong with sticking with XP. But in order to get the longest term support it should be XP Pro SP 3. They are going to give that one support until 2014.

HOWEVER, as mentioned .. if you are actually USING Windows and MS programs itself .. really good idea to go with Win 7 if you have that deep pocket needed to purchase it.

tkblackbelt
April 23rd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Thanks guys I upgraded to sp3 I'm only using it to test out programs I make to see if they work on windows.