PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Ubuntu website maintainers: Make sure Lucid testers understand this!

Starks
April 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm frankly getting sick and tired of people asking if they can update Alpha 1 to Final, Beta 2 to RC, RC to final, etc.

The ubuntu.com/testing (http://ubuntu.com/testing) sites for each preview release needs to state clearly the following:
"If you downloaded an earlier build of Lucid and are current with updates from the Update Manager, you have the latest version available."

lukeiamyourfather
April 22nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
Its not that simple for a lot of users. Oversimplifying it like that could be more harmful that good. Frankly people shouldn't be using the pre-release versions if they don't understand what they're getting into (which is also what the warning on the front page of Ubuntu.com says).

bash
April 22nd, 2010, 08:45 PM
So if I have Alpha 1 can I update to Alpha 2?

But yeah you're right. There are actually quite a few recurring topics in regards to the testing process. Besides this it's things like how and where to report bugs, partial upgrades and others.

Merk42
April 22nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
There's also the sticky in this subforum

The problem is people not reading things like the website and stickies before posting threads

23meg
April 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
I'm frankly getting sick and tired of people asking if they can update Alpha 1 to Final, Beta 2 to RC, RC to final, etc.

The ubuntu.com/testing (http://ubuntu.com/testing) sites for each preview release needs to state clearly the following:
"If you downloaded an earlier build of Lucid and are current with updates from the Update Manager, you have the latest version available."

This is not the preferred place to contact Ubuntu website maintainers (either file a bug in ubuntu-website on Launchpad, or post to the ubuntu-website mailing list).

People who ask those questions in the forums ask them despite the fact that there are sticky threads which answer those questions right where they're asking them. You're assuming that people who don't read those threads are going to read the Technical Overview thoroughly enough to take note of that sentence. I'd rethink that assumption.

bapoumba
April 22nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
Threads merged.

k3lt01
April 23rd, 2010, 04:17 AM
The problem is people not reading things like the website and stickies before posting threadsThat's it, people just neglect to read what they need to read before they start.

krazyd
April 23rd, 2010, 05:42 AM

This needs to be qualified with the statement that if you upgrade from a development version you might not have the same configuration as the final release.

Eg. while the same packages may be available, they might not be installed. Or installed with different settings to the final release defaults.

dino99
April 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/1004