PDA

View Full Version : [other] Connecting my Starcomms (Epi Valley) modem to Internet

aspyre
April 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Please i need guidance on how to connect my modem to the Internet, the help file on my Ubuntu 9.10 does not match the features available. I am using a modem from Starcomms (a local CDMA services provider in Nigeria) made by Epi Valley. Help, please.

alexfish
April 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Hi aspyre

I need further info as regards the type of modem you are using

Is it a USB or Serial connection

Have you registered or configured the modem with windows , with some ISP's this may be necessary

Do you have details of type of the modem , IE Huawie or ZTE etc + the model number

Mean time , below is what you can do to see if it will configure in ubuntu , this will also include the use of the Terminal if the device is not recognized by the network manager , if you are a novice the Terminal is available from the Applications / Accessories .

Boot up the computer without the device
Give the time for the computer to settle . Then connect the device
Allow the device to settle , Notice if there is a device or file etc appears on the desktop
check to see if the Network Manager in the top right panel has recognized the device it may show make new connection or similar , if so click on it to start the wizard , follow the wizard, check with your provider for details not provided by the wizard
if the device etc has shown on the desktop right click with the mouse and from the mouse menu eject or safely remove the device, allow time to settle ,check the network manager again , go back to 4
Device not recognized , this is where we need the terminal . Open up the terminal and type or copy these two commands in the terminal and post the results

if usb

Code:

lsusb

this will show the ID's of the device

for all devices

Code

dmesg | grep -e "modem" -e "tty"

this will show the modem and the tty lines it is on

the above ID's returned by the lsusb command may indicate if modem is only been recognized as a mass storage device or the modem its self, so maybe usb modeswitch may switch the device to modem mode. But follow the above first

regards

alexfish

djynnius
June 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I am having issues cant get my debian to see the modem as a modem. I dont know where to start from.

djynnius
June 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
finally fixed my Epivalley Starcomms USB Modem issues on debian! All I rquired was
1. the newest version of usb-modswitch which would only install after i installed libusb,
2. then usb-modswitch_data

then my debian began seeing the USB as a modem but I had a new issue couldnt connect even after entering my username (0702xxxxxxx@starcomms.com) and password (07028xxxxxx) correctly I circumvented this by installing wvdial

Note if u already had it installed it might not work so you have to force a reinstall

# wvdial --reinstall install wvdial

then open etc/wvdial.conf and edit
so you have number as #777
password as 0702xxxxxxx
username as 0702xxxxxxx@starcomms.com

and run wvdial

thats it!

ogfx
May 29th, 2011, 02:37 AM
@djynnius: Thanks for all d help...please how do I install these packages when my ubuntu dosen't browse using my izap modem??