PDA

View Full Version : Docks and Memory Use

Frogs Hair
April 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hi,
My to biggest memory hogs besides Xorg, are Pulse Audio and Cairo Dock . From what I've
read so far, AWN is a bigger memory hog than Cairo Dock. Does anyone have any data on Docky and its memory use ?

The Cairo Dock system monitor lists the top three memory users , but I don't know if Docky
does the same.

Simian Man
April 22nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Are you actually running out of memory?

Frogs Hair
April 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
Are you actually running out of memory?

No, Cairo is a 16mb program but it's using about 40mb while running a dock with 10 launchers .

tkblackbelt
April 22nd, 2010, 06:51 PM
40 mb isn't that big of a deal

Simian Man
April 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
40 mb isn't that big of a deal

Exactly.

If you like Cairo-dock, why would you consider getting rid of it just because it's using a few megabytes that would otherwise go unused?

Frogs Hair
April 22nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Exactly.

If you like Cairo-dock, why would you consider getting rid of it just because it's using a few megabytes that would otherwise go unused?

Good question , Cairo works well for me , but Docky is newer and I was wondering about its resource use in comparison to Cairo.

RaZe42
April 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Exactly.

That mentality is the reason why software becomes bloated.

chriskin
April 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM

40 megabytes of ram doesn't show a bloated application

the mentality to make everything ubersuperduperlightweight by removing features, that's what makes software useless

BrokenKingpin
April 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Agreed. I have always hated how some people think just because you have 4GB of ram that software can be poorly written and use more RAM than it really needs to. You ever notice that computer hardware gets faster, but software gets slower... so as time goes on your overall computer experience performs the same as it did 10 years ago on crap hardware.

40 megabytes of ram doesn't show a bloated application

the mentality to make everything ubersuperduperlightweight by removing features, that's what makes software useless
Just because it is lightweight doesn't mean it doesn't have features.

This all being said I haven't used the dock in question... so 40MB of RAM could be completely reasonable for what it does.

chriskin
April 22nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
i didn't say that, read what i said once more :)

if they had to make the dock even more lightweight, they would have to remove something , no?

zekopeko
April 22nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
Hi,
My to biggest memory hogs besides Xorg, are Pulse Audio and Cairo Dock . From what I've
read so far, AWN is a bigger memory hog than Cairo Dock. Does anyone have any data on Docky and its memory use ?

The Cairo Dock system monitor lists the top three memory users , but I don't know if Docky
does the same.

Docky is sitting now at 45.7 MB of ram. 12 launchers and 6 docklets + 4 helper scripts.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have another Docky with 12 launchers on the side of the screen.

BrokenKingpin
April 22nd, 2010, 09:22 PM
if they had to make the dock even more lightweight, they would have to remove something , no?
Yeah, but not features necessarily. They could write the same features, with more efficient code... resulting in a lighter application.

It is true that more features probably results in an application using more memory, which is fine. The problem is developers writing applications with inefficient code due to sloppiness, and the attitude that it doesn't matter because everyone has 4GB of RAM these days.

chriskin
April 22nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah, but not features necessarily. They could write the same features, with more efficient code... resulting in a lighter application.

it seems that my point fails to reach you, probably something i said wrong

what i said was that there is a limit of how lightweight something can be without sacrifices.
better code can make it lighter but not THAT much lighter. better code can make it use 35 instead of 40 mbs of ram, there is no way one can make a real dock with all the effects this one has with 1mb ram usage.
------------

what i said above is that there is a tendency to make software too lightweight these days , sometimes so lightweight that "non-essential" features are sacrificed in the name of simplicity.

BrokenKingpin
April 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
it seems that my point fails to reach you, probably something i said wrong

what i said was that there is a limit of how lightweight something can be without sacrifices.
better code can make it lighter but not THAT much lighter. better code can make it use 35 instead of 40 mbs of ram, there is no way one can make a real dock with all the effects this one has with 1mb ram usage.

My comments were directed towards applications in general. I wasn't saying you can get the dock down to 1MB, in fact I said in my early post that this probably wasn't even the case for this dock.
In terms in decreasing RAM usage on applications, it really depends on the application. I work at a company that makes software that uses about 150MB when running, and we have done fixes in code that have dropped the usage by 10s of MB.

what i said above is that there is a tendency to make software too lightweight these days , sometimes so lightweight that "non-essential" features are sacrificed in the name of simplicity.
I would disagree, a lot of software these days is bloated and is not trying to be lightweight at all. There are developers out there that do focus on making lightweight software though (XFCE, LXDE, etc.).

Simian Man
April 22nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Of course it's true that, in general, programmers should be concerned with the memory usage of their applications. In practice, however, you always have a choice between working on new features, fixing bugs, or optimizing what's already there. For the vast majority of projects making it work, and work well is going to be way more important most of the time.

For most applications adding new features and fixing bugs is more important than spending hours and hours of work to reduce the memory consumption of a program by a few megabytes. If that means that you can't use a given application (or just want to impress people with your free -m output), then you can either work on improving performance yourself orfind an alternative that uses less memory. And no matter what you say, in practice I can bet you that that alternative will also have fewer features more often than not.

This attitude of thinking that developers are being lazy by not focusing as much on optimization is bull.

Frogs Hair
May 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Docky is sitting now at 45.7 MB of ram. 12 launchers and 6 docklets + 4 helper scripts.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have another Docky with 12 launchers on the side of the screen.

Thanks, thats what i was looking for, some data !