PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Oracle will destroy Sun?

ssj6akshat
April 21st, 2010, 06:02 AM
First Solaris and now ODF plugin for Microsoft Office then MySQL and then maybe OpenOffice.

Post your thoughts here

ubuntuman001
April 21st, 2010, 07:44 AM
someone should maybe download and upload all openoffice source code so that it may be saved somewhere in case the **** hits the fan

Frak
April 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
No. That would be dumb.

ubuntuman001
April 21st, 2010, 10:01 AM
No. That would be dumb.is this a response to the OPs statement or mine, or both?

Eisenwinter
April 21st, 2010, 10:06 AM
@OP: do you realize Sun Microsystems is no longer a company? It was bought out by Oracle on January 27th 2010.

tica vun
April 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM
Maybe they can rid us of the abortion of a programming language that is Java while they're at it.

Giant Speck
April 21st, 2010, 10:16 AM
@OP: do you realize Sun Microsystems is no longer a company? It was bought out by Oracle on January 27th 2010.

I think what he means to say is "Do you think Oracle will destroy everything Sun has worked hard for years to create?"

Johnsie
April 21st, 2010, 11:46 AM
It's a hostile takeover but I don't think they would be dumb enough to run mysql into the ground... It would be relatively easy for mysql developers to switch to postgres. I dont see people rushing to Oracle databases for web development and I think.

RiceMonster
April 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
What did Oracle do with Solaris?

Maybe they can rid us of the abortion of a programming language that is Java while they're at it.

Won't happen. Oracle likes Java, and they already had some products (like form designer) written in Java before they purchased Sun.

ssj6akshat
April 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM
I think what he means to say is "Do you think Oracle will destroy everything Sun has worked hard for years to create?"

I did mean that.Can a mod change the thread title to this?

infestor
April 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
is mysql fully owned by oracle?

forrestcupp
April 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
Sun doesn't care; they already got their money.

But yes, Oracle will destroy everything Sun worked years to create.

someone should maybe download and upload all openoffice source code so that it may be saved somewhere in case the **** hits the fan

There are already a few good forks of OOo out there that Oracle can't do anything about. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Ubuntu uses Go-OO, which is a fork not even developed by Sun or Oracle.

But Dragonbite had a good point in another thread. OpenOffice relies on Java, and if Oracle does something to Java, we're out of luck no matter what.

I haven't kept up on it; did Java ever get released as free and open source software, or is it still proprietary? I know Sun was moving it toward FOSS, but if they didn't get that far before Oracle bought them out, I doubt if it will ever get there.

c00lwaterz
April 21st, 2010, 02:30 PM
"In software engineering, a project fork happens when developers take a copy of source code from one software package and start independent ... "

source: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=define%3A+fork&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

so they get license for the code from sun then build on their own?

BillyBoa
April 21st, 2010, 02:31 PM
The only thing I now is that OpenOffice.org 3.3 development is on "Schedule: To be decided". Last year the were speaking about May or June as release day and now they look undecided.

bfc
April 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Oracle bought Sun to gain access to certain technologies and also likely Suns customer base. Oracle will integrate what they want and get rid of the rest. Happens all the time when one company buys another. If Oracle sees no value in Solaris/OpenSolaris or other Sun Technologies, why would they continue to support it. Harsh, but reality.

Sun was actively looking for a buyer, I believe they were in talks with IBM, from what I remember, IBM was offering a lower price than what Sun wanted. Oracle came in and offered more than IBM and completed the purchase.

DeadSuperHero
April 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Oracle's been leaving a bad taste in my mouth for quite a while now. First they make Solaris demoware, then they stop talking to the OpenSolaris Community, now they're making people pay absurd amounts of money for an ODF plugin. If Office 2007 can save ODF I guess that's not a huge deal, but what about the people that still are using Office 2003?

Furthermore, I think it's a shame that Sun ever got bought out. Sure, they weren't the perfect company, but from many accounts that I've read from people that worked with Sun employees personally, it was apparent that Sun really cared about what they were doing.

Oracle- What will they ruin next?

ratcheer
April 21st, 2010, 03:17 PM

Won't happen. Oracle likes Java, and they already had some products (like form designer) written in Java before they purchased Sun.

In my opinion, Java is the main reason Oracle bought Sun.

Tim

mickie.kext
April 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM
It's a hostile takeover but I don't think they would be dumb enough to run mysql into the ground... It would be relatively easy for mysql developers to switch to postgres. I dont see people rushing to Oracle databases for web development and I think.

It is not hostile takeover (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeover#Hostile_takeovers). It was negotiated with management.

Sun doesn't care; they already got their money.

But yes, Oracle will destroy everything Sun worked years to create.

There are already a few good forks of OOo out there that Oracle can't do anything about. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Ubuntu uses Go-OO, which is a fork not even developed by Sun or Oracle.

But Dragonbite had a good point in another thread. OpenOffice relies on Java, and if Oracle does something to Java, we're out of luck no matter what.

I haven't kept up on it; did Java ever get released as free and open source software, or is it still proprietary? I know Sun was moving it toward FOSS, but if they didn't get that far before Oracle bought them out, I doubt if it will ever get there.

Oracle can do anything to Java. It is mostly open sourced in 2006, and then remaining bits got replaced by GNU Classpath and Red Hat IcedTea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea) projects. In addition, there is one more Free implementation called Apache Harmony. Also, Eclipse Foundation has has ecj compiler and GNU has gcj.

Java is not going anywhere. If Oracle turn hostile/proprietary, it will only bite them because they will lose control of Java. That is why Sun open sourced Java - their implementation was losing relevance.

MySQL is not going to die either. For Solaris, I honestly do not care. Sun did not open sourced it properly anyway. It was not self-hosting, SXCE was needed to compile it. I also do not care about GlassFish, JBoss rocks.

Viva
April 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
They won't do it deliberately, that would not only be a bad business practice, but also illegal. I do think it was a bad move to purchase Sun, the two companies have entirely different objectives and business strategies. I think this would end up like one of those thousand pointless and ultimately damaging aquisitions by AOL and Yahoo.

dragos240
April 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM

We now have to pay for it.

dragos240
April 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM
is mysql fully owned by oracle?

The community version is under the GPL 2.0. The current version is licensed under that. If they change it, and make us may for it. We can still use the latest version that was licensed under the GPL.

Tristam Green
April 21st, 2010, 04:49 PM
It will take a big missile, or an Energy Ribbon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Generations) and a smaller missile to destroy the Sun.

oh, sorry :(