PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to connect to wireless network

geitliefje
April 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hi,
I just installed Ubuntu yesterday and this is the only problem I'm having *fingers crossed* :P
I can't connect to my wireless network at all on ubuntu (though I can on Vista). I'm using it through an ethernet cable for the moment. I've tried going through sytstem > administration > hardware drivers to activate the wireless driver but it says that' no proprietary drivers are in use on this system' and doesn't list anything. I've got a Netgear DGN2000 router and Broadcom wireless. Thanks in advance!

bkratz
April 20th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hi,
I just installed Ubuntu yesterday and this is the only problem I'm having *fingers crossed* :P
I can't connect to my wireless network at all on ubuntu (though I can on Vista). I'm using it through an ethernet cable for the moment. I've tried going through sytstem > administration > hardware drivers to activate the wireless driver but it says that' no proprietary drivers are in use on this system' and doesn't list anything. I've got a Netgear DGN2000 router and Broadcom wireless. Thanks in advance!

You might want to go to the terminal (Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal) and enter in

lspci | grep Network

(that is LSPCI in lowercase and N in upper case) and copy/paste what is returned back here so we can see which Broadcom card you have.

geitliefje
April 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
It says

04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
lauren@lauren-laptop:~$ ^C

:)

bkratz
April 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
It says

04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
lauren@lauren-laptop:~$ ^C

:)

It should be as simple as connecting your ethernet cable and executing.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

Note these will require your password which will not be echoed during typing--just hit enter when done.

geitliefje
April 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks, it's working great now :)