PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replace Broadband Router & VPN

stoneym
April 20th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I have been searching for a while and have found bits and pieces of what I want to do, but I am not sure how to fit it all together.

I have looked for a hardware solution and can't find a cost effective one that does everything I need. The hold out is that I have a 60mbit internet connection, and the option to do an always on VPN tunnel at that same speed. The maximum speed I could find on any router for VPN pass-through was 25mbit. And that thing was over $1000.

I already have an Ubuntu server going so I figured why not use it to replace my current hardware router. I am looking for software to replicate most of the functionality of the hardware router.

NAT, Port forwarding, DHCP, internet gateway for my network, and Qos. I have two gigabit NICs in the box and want to have the cable modem on one and a gigabit switch on the other that is the core of my network. From what I can tell Firestarter would support those items. Am I correct there?

And based on my statement above, I want to open a VPN connection and share my internet over that connection to my whole network. I am hoping that my server can handle more throughput than the hardware solutions out there. It is a Core 2 Duo E6600 with 4gb ram.

I wasn't sure if or how I could configure Firestarter with a VPN connection to do this.

Thanks for any help...