PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anyone know how to install on Noontec Movie Dock?

i,bigfoot
April 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some tips on how I could install Ubuntu on a Noontec MovieDock V9-T (http://www.noontec.com/En/Products/MovieHome/0912251442412903.html) system? Has anyone done this before?

I purchased one the other day and am a little disappointed with the interface and functionality, so I figure having it run Ubuntu would fix that.

Hoping that someone has done this before or can point me to a site to get me started!

Cheers,
Troy

Bucky Ball
June 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I was wondering the same thing. We got one of their media drives recently and the interface is clunky and the software overall pretty disappointing.

Out of curiousity, can you access your Noontec from your computer? If so, how did you go about it? I am trying with samba and keep getting to a password GUI but can find no info whatsoever about what the password is!

i,bigfoot
July 18th, 2010, 05:58 AM
hi bucky..

haven't really try to connect it.. was led to believe that thing has wireless but it can't even find the network SSID.
where my setup is i can't run ethernet (which is a cause of endless frustration!) so it is simply a crappy digital TV unit for me at the moment.

i would like to figure out how to get this to happen, but i don't know the starting point really.. i guess i need to know the hardware architecture of the unit (chip, memory, bios etc) but can't seem to find that .. have even tried emailing the noontec support people ... nothing but radio silence there..

running a thread over at XBMC as well, figured that if i could get xbmc running it would be perfect.. no luck on that front either .. :-(

will keep the feelers out and see what the interwebs turns up.. any news i will post here...

cheers,
troy

Bucky Ball
July 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Ours has no wireless, doesn't pick up with wireless dongle when plugged in (doesn't see it) but works fine with cable seeing the shared partitions on all three computers on the LAN.

The support dudes at the place we bought tell me it doesn't have the function of being able to access the other way though; accessing the noontec hard drive through one of the machines on the LAN. Wanted to use it like a media player/server for backups from the computers but doesn't have that function. Oh, well. Just means unplugging and plugging directly into a comp via USB to do any backing up.

Keep us posted.