PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The Purpose of 4 Desktop environment.

kanata
April 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone,

I have always puzzled about the purpose of 4 Desktop environments.
what is the significance.

I use only one for my daily work.

Thanks.
kanata

thatguruguy
April 19th, 2010, 09:57 PM
If that's all you need, that's fine.

I sometimes need more. For instance, if I am working on a legal brief, I will keep all of my research on one desktop, and keep my brief on another. I find it's easier to keep organized that way, but YMMV.

Igorpan
April 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I love it!
I binded desktops to <Super>+1,<Super+2> etc.
When i'm doing few tasks at the same time,i just switch them with my keyboard,i find it very fast and better organized ;)

Simian Man
April 19th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I don't use them much on my laptop because it's just for casual use. For my work computer, however, I keep a different project on each desktop with several terminals, text editors and web browser windows on each. Then I can switch between tasks simply and keep my place even if I don't look at a particular project for several days.

lucasart
April 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I have always puzzled about the purpose of 4 Desktop environments.
what is the significance.

I use only one for my daily work.

Thanks.
kanata

Well I suppose it's for these super hardcore nerds who like the 3D cube stuff. Not a big fan myself, I use 2 desktops and switch just by moving the mouse through the edge of them screen. So it really feels natural (rather than doing ctrl+alt+left/right or <super>+E or clicking in the bottom pane)

Try installing compizconfig-settings-manager, and have a look at all that you can configure. It's insane... (although 90% is useless and annoying after a while so you'll endup turning it off anyway)

darolu
April 19th, 2010, 11:40 PM
If you can find the use of having 2 monitors, but only have one screen... voilá; it all depends on your taste and needs, for instance I like to keep a separate workspace for "communications", e-mail clients and IM clients are in a separated workspace so they don't bother me while working; part of my work is to create graphics so I usually keep gimp and inkscape running on another workspace and in the 'main' one I keep my IDE, browser, etc...
It's really up to you, if you don't want more than one, configure it to use one only.

2hot6ft2
April 19th, 2010, 11:41 PM
4?:confused: You mean you're not using all 32?
It's so the desktop you're on at any point in time doesn't have to be cluttered with everything you have going.

malspa
April 19th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I find workspaces and virtual desktops to be convenient. I usually have three available. They're just another tool to help keep things organized.

I think that in KDE they are called desktops, but in GNOME and other environments they are called workspaces. At least, I think those are the names for them when you go to configure them. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that. For example, I'm using Xfce at the moment and here they're called workspaces.

rogerpittman
April 20th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I normally use 4 workspaces - one for web browsing, one for email, one for reading documents (PDF) and one for projects (digitizing audio cassettes with Audacity). Keeps everything more organized for me.

1clue
April 20th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I use 2 rows of 6.

I always set things up the same way:

I have one for email and other communications like Skype.
I have one for recreational web browsing.
I have one for work admin stuff.
I have one for software development IDE (I'm a programmer)
I have one for software development command-line terminals.
I have several screens with terminals in various arrangements that I have found helpful for various other tasks.
One is for office-related apps like word processors.

All these things are in a specific arrangement, such that any two screens I use "together" are adjacent to each other.

What I get out of it is a bunch of application sets. Instead of minimizing an app and bringing another one, it's a quick keystroke to switch from one to another "suite" with all the windows arranged perfectly.

foxmulder881
April 20th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I've got 4 available on my system, but in reality I never use any more than 2 at a time.

shazbut
April 20th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I have 5 set, but only ever use 3, tops.
5 is a better number than 3, though.
23 would be even better, but takes up too much room on the panel.

foxmulder881
April 20th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I have 5 set, but only ever use 3, tops.
5 is a better number than 3, though.
23 would be even better, but takes up too much room on the panel.

You could dedicate a whole panel to them! :lolflag:

infamous-online
April 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Me personally, I like to remove that because I like to keep everything on my main screen. I don't use multiple monitors and such, so keeping everything on the main screen suits me just fine. However, I'm not knocking anybody who uses it because it's there for a reason.

3Miro
April 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Multiple workspaces gives you an extra dimension to the Alt+Tab shortcut. It also helps you organize your workplace.

1: Personal web (i.e. Facebook), e-mail, music player ...
2: Work related web, Google Scholar and several open pdf papers.
3: Editor for reference publications (KBibTex)
4: Latex editor and compiled .pdf

Alt+Tab switches between tasks from the current group, Super + Left/Right (or Ctr + Alt + Left/Right) switches groups.

I am so used to multiple Workspaces that I cannot go back windows for that reason alone. Of course, if you not want to use it, just use one.

malspa
April 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM
I am so used to multiple Workspaces that I cannot go back windows for that reason alone.

Yeah, when I have to spend any time on a Windows computer, I really miss being able to have multiple desktops/workspaces.

ubunterooster
April 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM
I find workspaces and virtual desktops to be convenient. I usually have three available. They're just another tool to help keep things organized.

I think that in KDE they are called desktops, but in GNOME and other environments they are called workspaces. At least, I think those are the names for them when you go to configure them. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that. For example, I'm using Xfce at the moment and here they're called workspaces.

I also keep three "virtual desktops" or workspaces.

Just so you know,Kanta, Desktop *Enviroments* are KDE, Gnome, xcfe, Lx11, and the like. [I have five Desktop Enviroments, BTW]

Jackelope King
April 21st, 2010, 08:53 PM
I use four workspaces, arranged in a square. I usually have one open for web browsing, one for work, one for music, and one for long-term processes that I need to let run for awhile. It's basically just another layer of organization I can use, so I can keep my alt-tab on each workspace organized (only shuffling through documents on one workspace for a presentation, as opposed to the documents and my web browser and my music player and my terminal and everything else...)

ubunterooster
April 21st, 2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, when I have to spend any time on a Windows computer, I really miss being able to have multiple desktops/workspaces.
Dexpot (find.pcworld.com/60932)

chriskin
April 22nd, 2010, 05:01 AM
4?:confused: You mean you're not using all 32?
It's so the desktop you're on at any point in time doesn't have to be cluttered with everything you have going.

you mean you are using only 32??

malspa
April 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Dexpot (find.pcworld.com/60932)

Thanks. Unfortunately, most of the time I'm on a Windows computer it's at work, or else it's a machine that belongs to someone else, and I so I can't go installing something on it.

Is there some reason why Windows machines don't simply have virtual desktops available by default?

ubunterooster
April 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
You could try to ask; I mean, you wouldn't get fired for it...unless you had a reeeally cranky supervisor.

XP users can use the Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (find.pcworld.com/60931) which your IT staff might trust more. If it were there by default Grandma and Grandpa would always be forgetting AOL was open on the *other* workspace. [currently thinking of both pairs of my grandparents]

dr.neuro
April 22nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
I am bored if I use one environment so always i change

malspa
April 23rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
You could try to ask; I mean, you wouldn't get fired for it...unless you had a reeeally cranky supervisor.

XP users can use the Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (find.pcworld.com/60931) which your IT staff might trust more.

Thanks for the tips and info. No, at my current job, we can't install anything on any of the computers. Period. At a few previous jobs, things were similarly locked down. Maybe things are different where you work.

If it were there by default Grandma and Grandpa would always be forgetting AOL was open on the *other* workspace. [currently thinking of both pairs of my grandparents]

LOL! Actually, I just meant if the capability were there by default. For example, with some distros (like Linux Mint), the workspace pager isn't put on the panel by default, but you have the option of easily adding it to the panel.

ubunterooster
April 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Oh, I live on what most consider a farm. And I am the only "IT" here.

I'm sure Ms will workspaces in Win 8.

chriskin
April 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Oh, I live on what most consider a farm. And I am the only "IT" here.

I'm sure Ms will workspaces in Win 8.

just like many people said that ms would include workspaces in win 7..

ubunterooster
April 23rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
just like many people said that ms would include workspaces in win 7..
At least false hope is reassuring temperarily

chriskin
April 23rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
At least false hope is reassuring temperarily

then i will have to say that windows 10 will include this feature
that way i can have hope for a longer period of time :)

ubunterooster
April 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
[Scratches head.] Um, sort of.

Maheriano
April 23rd, 2010, 05:21 PM
I use all 4.
Desktop 1 - main work area for my business
Desktop 2 - Controlling the music application
Desktop 3 - remote desktop view of my other computer
Desktop 4 - for the girlfriend to do her own thing so he's not messing with my programs I have open