PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] wicd - could not connect to wicd's D-Bus Interface

xenou
April 19th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Today my wicd wireless connection gave me an error after 10 months of flawless performance, with a message about dbus. At startup Wicd asked for my root password and then it display the following messages: "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages".

In case anyone else runs into this problem, here's what I did.

1) Check /var/log/wicd for a log file. The last line of the log file reported this error:

ConfigParser.ParsingError: File contains parsing errors: /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf [line 23]: '[]\n'

Okay, so then I opened up the file where the error was reported:

sudo gedit /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf

The last line of this file contained two empty brackets. I hit backspace a few times to delete the empty brackets - also I did not leave an empty line at the bottom but backspaced to the end of the last line of the actual configuration settings. Saved and closed. Reboot (probably starting wicd would have been enough). Back in business!

I hope this helps someone else.

Gazoo01
May 1st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Thanks--I had the same problem, and your solution got wicd working for me again.

Ubunthree
May 10th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Helped me too, exact same problem, thanks!

nicktids
May 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks this helped me as well.

Happened after I went from wireless to wired for a faster file transfer. And then back to wireless and got the error above.

yozgoesdigital
July 15th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for posting your solution. Got this problem already for some time and never took the time to solve it (sticked to windows)
It worked perfectly!

convoi
January 4th, 2013, 08:18 AM
useful, thank you!

van hanegen
August 8th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Well, just the same case with 13.04. But i'm a newbie. And, may be, that's why after inserting:
sudo gedit /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf
all i get is the blanc document.
So any adwise of wicd right installation would be appreciated.

howefield
August 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
One of the dangers in replying to 3 year old threads, probably best to start a new one.

Thread closed.