PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Broken USB with Grub2 for encrypted system?

jpfp
April 18th, 2010, 10:46 PM
This is my first post so I'd like to say Hi to everyone (like on some kind of session 8)) and I'd like to say that my English isn't to good, so please forgive me any mistakes.

Some time ago I installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my 64bit machine from text based installation (alternative disk), I encrypted whole partition with AES and as a boot partition I selected USB stick. This morning I turned on my PC normally, pulled off USB and destroyed it somehow, so since then my PC is up, and now I'm trying to find a way to make boot cd with Grub only, for my encrypted system which is still on. If I'll turn it off I want be able to wake it up again because I don't know how.
Is it possible to prepare that kind cd or do I have to reinstall system?
I hope that what I wrote has sense.

Thanks in advance.

Jon Monreal
April 19th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I'm a bit confused.

Are you trying to say that you have one encrypted partition with data on it and that you put Ubuntu on the USB stick?

And what you want to do now is access the encrypted partition?

Thanks.

jpfp
April 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I have 4 partitions, 3 of them are fully encrypted with truecrypt and one is fully encrypted with AES for Ubuntu (installation from alternative Ubuntu disk). I had grub on memory stick only for Ubuntu. Without memory stick I can get to other encrypted with truecrypt systems but not to Ubuntu.

I want to install grub which I had on memory stick on an optical disk from running Ubuntu system and only for Ubuntu.

Please help.
Once again sorry for my English.