PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ssh vs sshfs

cdysthe
April 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Hi,

I am using ssh for file transfer on my home network. I use "Connect to server..." to create bookmarks in Nautilus for file transfer. The connections show up as sftp connection in the Computer view and in Places in Nautilus. I do not have sshfs installed and do not really understand why I would have it installed. Could someone please explain what sshfs offers in addition to what I currently have using only ssh?

Brandon Williams
April 20th, 2010, 05:49 PM
If you are happy to always use nautilus to access these filesystems, then sshfs doesn't offer much for you. I almost never use a graphical tool for managing my files and filesystems, so sshfs is quite convenient for me. I can mount the remote filesystem and then use it from the command line as if it were a local filesystem (similar to the use of nfs or samba).

cdysthe
April 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
If you are happy to always use nautilus to access these filesystems, then sshfs doesn't offer much for you. I almost never use a graphical tool for managing my files and filesystems, so sshfs is quite convenient for me. I can mount the remote filesystem and then use it from the command line as if it were a local filesystem (similar to the use of nfs or samba).

Thanks! My issue is that I have a lot of recent Windows converts on my network. They are not going to want to use the command line for anything! I may use sshfs to create the connections and then set up shortcuts in Nautilus for access.