PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade, boot problems,low resolution boot

pablo27
April 18th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have searched and read many threads and still need expert advice. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 w/kde 3.xxx, I can't upgrade because appearantly the disto I installed to get KDE3 is locked. My system currently boots to the Low-resolution mode and I am unable to make any progress form here. I don't have a /init/ directory and my xorg.conf files (about 20 of them) are in the /etc/X11/ dir. I could re-install but that would be the Windoxe way and I like to learn to solve these problems myself. I am familiar with the command like and need some advice or direction to threads that relate. IF I have to intall from scratch which dir do I need to backup? I have live CD's I can use to access this machine. Thank you so much in advance for everyone's help and effort. Ubuntu student wants to learn

beta.tester
April 18th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I have searched and read many threads and still need expert advice. I am running Ubuntu 9.04 w/kde 3.xxx, I can't upgrade because appearantly the disto I installed to get KDE3 is locked. My system currently boots to the Low-resolution mode and I am unable to make any progress form here. I don't have a /init/ directory and my xorg.conf files (about 20 of them) are in the /etc/X11/ dir. I could re-install but that would be the Windoxe way and I like to learn to solve these problems myself. I am familiar with the command like and need some advice or direction to threads that relate. IF I have to intall from scratch which dir do I need to backup? I have live CD's I can use to access this machine. Thank you so much in advance for everyone's help and effort. Ubuntu student wants to learn

Hi Pablo

Welcome to Ubuntu ;)

The directory that holds all your settings etc is the:

/home directory

Some of us would recommend always havinga seperate /home directory to make life easier duringa fresh install or recovering files.

If you have to install from fresh, backup your /home directory first.

Kind regards and keep on Ubuntuing john

pablo27
April 19th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the super-quick reply, that is very helpful and I will do that now. Is there any way to fix this problem or how it came to happen??