PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so what am i doing wrong with mythweb / port forwarding?

geekyhawkes
April 18th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I am trying to work out what i am doing wrong with port forwarding on my router to get myth web to work. If i set my myth machine as an exposed host then by entering my ip address I can log in just fine to myth web. Clearly I dont want to have my myth box as an exposed host on the internet!

I have setup port forwarding on my router for a random port )for this case 3333 will be fine for descussion) to forward to [MYTHBOX IP] address port 80.

When i try and access from outside my home network I get the mythweb login screen fine and enter my user name and password but get no further as I am displayed with ;

HTTP Error 503: The requested service is unavailable.

The service may be unavailable because the server has reached the limit of number of requests it is willing to serve in parallel.

If i go back and expose the host then all works fine so I am happy mythweb is working ok.

Do I need to forward more than port80 to get myth web working?

For what it is worth I am using an orange livebox siemens SE572.

THanks

uncle hammy
April 18th, 2010, 07:17 PM
http://myhosturl:3333/mythweb

You need the /mythweb part if you'r going to use an alternate port.

geekyhawkes
April 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Right, why is that? I am confused why the port forwarding shouldnt just forward all requests to port 80 on the myth box?

By the way, thanks it does work a treat, the question above is more for my understanding of what is going on!

uncle hammy
April 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Right, why is that? I am confused why the port forwarding shouldnt just forward all requests to port 80 on the myth box?

By the way, thanks it does work a treat, the question above is more for my understanding of what is going on!
Because mythweb is a secondary site in Apache. So http://myapachemachine doesn't actually go to mythweb, it goes to a default page there that then redirects to mythweb....without the port you specified. SO by specifically saying "take me to the mythweb site", you don't lose the port as you browse around.

geekyhawkes
April 20th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Thank you, still so much to learn!