PDA

View Full Version : oh no! it's started already

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/18/avatar-james-cameron-brazil-dam

"a real-life Avatar confrontation is in progress". Now Cameron plans to shoot a 3D "experiential" documentary about the plight of the region's people and their battle against Belo Monte

dragos240
April 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Huh?

gnomeuser
April 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Personally I found Avatar illogical and poorly reasoned. It was pretty but doesn't justify the commotion in my mind.

E.g. if you have interstellar spaceships and you, being ruthless as we already know these people are. Considering that they only need the ridiculously named "unobtainium" and that they can't breath in the planets atmosphere anyways.. Why not dump some biological agent down there, wait a year or so for it to rid the planet of it's creepy blue, bonded for life after sex once, freaks and the rest of the nature which obviously will kill them. Or chemical weapons, even stripping the atmosphere right off (hey if we can travel through stars, we can do this).

Hey presto, you win because your freaky blue enemies and their animal bulldozers are no longer breathing. Go in take the stuff you need and leave. They clearly have no interest in the planet for habitation and they don't give a damn about ruining the ecosystem so why beat around the bush, get on with the path of least resistance and save lives, money, best of all save the world from a pointless 2 hours wasted having James Cameron self-gratify in 3D all over your innocent face and getting paid for it.

If this seems cruel I would argue that it is no more cruel than all out war and ruining the ecosystem as depicted in the movie. Consider it the optimal path to victory for the people with the big guns and the ruthless attitude. Consider it the realistic path.

And now I hear Cameron wants to not only stretch this tale of absurdity into another 2 boring and illogical movies but a freaking "documentary". I weep for mankind.

autonomy
April 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Cameron wants to not only stretch this tale of absurdity into another 2 boring and illogical movies but a freaking "documentary". I weep for mankind.No thanks for your tirade which was completely out of place, and no thanks for your carelessness about some of the world's only few remaining undomesticated people and their plight to save their autonomy.

chriskin
April 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Why not dump some biological agent down there, wait a year or so for it to rid the planet of it's creepy blue, bonded for life after sex once, freaks and the rest of the nature which obviously will kill them. Or chemical weapons, even stripping the atmosphere right off (hey if we can travel through stars, we can do this).

in the movie it was said that violence was avoided because it would harm the public image of the company that brings the material to earth.
eterminating everybody Is considered violence and i think it would harm the image of the company more than anything else.

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 02:53 PM
i don't think it was out of place,

neither does Edison Lobão, Brazil's outgoing energy minister, who told the Record news channel that Cameron understood "nothing about electric energy". "We don't try to get involved in cinema, because we know nothing about it," he said. "I wouldn't try to make Avatar, would I? It would be horrific."

well, it wouldn't be that bad, at least not as bad as....

Artificial Intelligence
April 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Gnomeuser, it's just a movie. There's no reason to put everything into logical boxes. Just enjoy the fairy tale ;)

autonomy
April 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM
i don't think it was out of place,

neither does Edison Lobão, Brazil's outgoing energy minister, who told the Record news channel that Cameron understood "nothing about electric energy". "We don't try to get involved in cinema, because we know nothing about it," he said. "I wouldn't try to make Avatar, would I? It would be horrific."This doesn't mean it had anything to do with the topic.

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM
This doesn't mean it had anything to do with the topic.

on the contrary

this

And now I hear Cameron wants to not only stretch this tale of absurdity into another 2 boring and illogical movies but a freaking "documentary". I weep for mankind.

is the very definition of the topic.

autonomy
April 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
right, and that is not the tirade that I said is off-topic, so....

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 03:11 PM
umm, i think thats on topic to,

maybe you should get your own thread with whatever topic your on about.

chriskin
April 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/tommiV13/lol/banner1.gif

itreius
April 18th, 2010, 03:14 PM
and no thanks for your carelessness about some of the world's only few remaining undomesticated people and their plight to save their autonomy.
There's plenty more people left who seek autonomy for themselves but aren't getting any, even in the Western world. It's easier to just jump into some fantasy world where such people only live in jungles, creating an illusion that such a world is distant to us, to make us feel better about ourselves.
Avatar has f*** all to do with that.

jetsam
April 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I weep for mankind.

I've never taken enough time to care that much for everyone. This thread is like postmodernism rediscovers dada and decides to circle jerk. And everybody wins!

Everybody ... Keep on keepin' on, said the non-hippy to the other guys (and gals) --and penguins... Especially penguins! :]

Sporkman
April 18th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Ok, that's it. Thread closed.

Groucho Marxist
April 18th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Gnomeuser, it's just a movie. There's no reason to put everything into logical boxes. Just enjoy the fairy tale ;)

Which fairy tale? The tale that rips-off Lawrence of Arabia? Ferngully: the Last Rain-Forrest? Dances With Wolves? Or, Pochahontas?

Swarms
April 18th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Which fairy tale? The tale that rips-off Lawrence of Arabia? Ferngully: the Last Rain-Forrest? Dances With Wolves? Or, Pochahontas?

But... it is in 3D!

Lightstar
April 18th, 2010, 06:52 PM

I totally agree.
People think too much to enjoy small things these days.

jetsam
April 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
If I could change one teeny tiny thing about Ubuntu, it would be the release schedule.

Oh... Wait; just one second...

Right. I won't even mention the baloon.

Hmmm...
:-|:-|

Laxman_prodigy
April 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
If I could change one teeny tiny thing about Ubuntu, it would be the release schedule.

Hmmm...

Yup, with you for that release schedule.

I don't understand why they have to rush an operating system every six months. Utter BS.

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM

Hmmm...

this baloon?

KiwiNZ
April 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I don't think I have seen an entire thread miss the point as much as this one has :rolleyes:

Artificial Intelligence
April 18th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I don't think I have seen an entire thread miss the point as much as this one has :rolleyes:

That's the whole point :mrgreen:

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM
"It's not a bunch of environmental impact studies. It's personal,"

"We can come to Brazil from the future and say: 'Don't do this.'"

"Probably the defining battle in human history is happening during our lifetime,"

said Cameron

no really,

that's what he said.

tica vun
April 18th, 2010, 08:59 PM
some of the world's only few remaining undomesticated people

I care about them. I'm deeply disturbed that we're still leaving them to live in the jungle and fend for themselves, where their life expectancy without modern medicine, survival techniques and defence technology is around 30 years. This is the real travesty, not the fact that they're being brought into the civilised world. It's our duty as civilised humans to bring these people our way of life, where children don't die of the most trivial diseases, you don't have to live in fear of being eaten by wild enemies, where a burst appendix isn't a death sentence, et cetera. They don't really "want" to live like that, the only reason why they're still stuck in there is the fear of unknown, and we're perpetuating that by trying to violently remove them from their habitats - what they need is a diplomatical representation to show them what the civilised world is like. As it is, their decision to continue to live like animals is based on the erroneous preconceptions they have about our world based on little to no information.

Even so, forcing them to live like respectable human beings is probably better than letting them live like animals. I'm fully in favour of this. Allowing them to continue to live like we did in the bronze age should be a crime against humanity.

toupeiro
April 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM

Thank you. As a Brasilian citizen, I take this extremely seriously.. If James Cameron can help, he will become a hero in my eyes. I don't really give two damns if people think his movie has relevance to this situation or not.. If he thinks it does, and that in turn motivates him to help the Xingu and other tribes, he is a hero.

toupeiro
April 18th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Even so, forcing them to live like respectable human beings is probably better than letting them live like animals. I'm fully in favour of this. Allowing them to continue to live like we did in the bronze age should be a crime against humanity.

Wow, you sound like every other oppressive culture that thought they knew what was better for native tribes... Read your history...

autonomy
April 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I'm deeply disturbed that we're still leaving them to live in the jungle.... It's our duty as civilised humans to bring these people our way of life, where children don't die of the most trivial diseases, you don't have to live in fear of being eaten by wild enemies, where a burst appendix isn't a death sentence, et cetera. They don't really "want" to live like that ... what they need is a diplomatical representation to show them what the civilised world is like.

Even so, forcing them to live like respectable human beings is probably better than letting them live like animals. Allowing them to continue to live like we did in the bronze age should be a crime against humanity.
I'm deeply disturbed that you want to "save" them from the jungle, so they can start fearing of dying by car accidents or freak work accidents. I doubt they're running away from that life that they "don't want to live", so they can work in some Brazilian factory and live in poverty, leaving their rich lives behind. They don't need this world anymore than you or I, but like most people, you can't see that. You sicking me with your attitude of knowing what's best for people you know nothing about since your upbringing has taught you that this is the best possible existence. They're living like the stone age.

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Cameron inspired to attempt to give the "global consciousness… a heads up".

Outside, by the riverbank, vultures hovered menacingly in a cobalt sky

toupeiro
April 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Cameron inspired to attempt to give the "global consciousness… a heads up".

Outside, by the riverbank, vultures hovered menacingly in a cobalt sky

And what? It inspired you to sit on your duff in front of a screen and poke stabs at the effort of somebody trying to do something, anything, for a people and a situation you've probably never heard of before James Cameron went there? Yeah, way to make a difference.

tica vun
April 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Wow, you sound like every other oppressive culture that thought they knew what was better for native tribes... Read your history...

This isn't about relative opinions, cultural diversity or anything: The clear facts are that these people who still live in the jungle, without any of the technological advances of the last ten thousand years, experience poor quality of life, are invulnerable against the most basic forces of nature that we've conquered centuries ago, and have a greatly reduced life span. Not saving them from that is oppressive.

toupeiro
April 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM
This isn't about relative opinions, cultural diversity or anything: The clear facts are that these people who still live in the jungle, without any of the technological advances of the last ten thousand years, experience poor quality of life, are invulnerable against the most basic forces of nature that we've conquered centuries ago, and have a greatly reduced life span. Not saving them from that is oppressive.

Ok seriously, I should seriously consider requesting to close this thread for your own sake, to save you from yourself until you've had a nice long sit in a library. You have no idea how absolutely obtuse and narrow-minded you sound right now. Pre-teen members of this board could school you on the historical tragedy that is your knowledge on this topic... You can thank me later, when you've liberated yourself, educationally speaking.

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
And what? It inspired you to sit on your duff in front of a screen and poke stabs at the effort of somebody trying to do something, anything, for a people and a situation you've probably never heard of before James Cameron went there? Yeah, way to make a difference.

:)

well, that's not what this thread is about, do you think he's going to stop the dam,

it's about his one big advert for avatar 2.

oh, and i have heard of these people and there situation.

but hey, maybe they could build a coal fired power station instead,

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Ok seriously, I should seriously consider requesting to close this thread for your own sake, to save you from yourself until you've had a nice long sit in a library. You have no idea how absolutely obtuse and narrow-minded you sound right now. Pre-teen members of this board could school you on the historical tragedy that is your knowledge on this topic... You can thank me later, when you've liberated yourself, educationally speaking.

i'd thank you now if you took your assumptions about others knowledge of history and found a thread more suited to whtever it is your on about,

this thread is about the bug'i nature of 6 month release cycles.

toupeiro
April 18th, 2010, 10:38 PM
:)

well, that's not what this thread is about, do you think he's going to stop the dam,

it's about his one big advert for avatar 2.

oh, and i have heard of these people and there situation.

but hey, maybe they could build a coal fired power station instead,

There are plenty of cleaner ways to solve this issue, which have been discussed nationally in Brasil for decades, but as with anywhere you go, you have lobbiests. Look at the corn lobbiests in the US when we studied in Brasil for decades on how to effectively produce alcohol from Sugar Cane, and look at how we implemented it? The biggest difference is, the long term effects of this dam do not just affect the Xingu people and other tribes, it promotes the deforestation of the Amazon jungle, which produces more than 20% of the worlds oxygen as well as the source for many, many medicines to keep all of us in the "modern world" alive.

The jungle, and the tribes, must be preserved. Belo Monte < Air, medicine, and the preservation of life and native culture...

toupeiro
April 18th, 2010, 10:40 PM
i'd thank you now if you took your assumptions about others knowledge of history and found a thread more suited to whtever it is your on about,

this thread is about the bug'i nature of 6 month release cycles.

If you actually think these are assumptions based on those contributions to this topic, maybe you need a library card too...

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 10:44 PM
oh no! it's started already,

by directive 4

it's my topic,

and it's about

Obtuse Angles

An obtuse angle is one which is more than 90° but less than 180°

i don't know what topic your on about,

please find another thread to go on about it

toupeiro
April 18th, 2010, 10:46 PM
oh no! it's started already,

by directive 4

it's my topic,

and it's about

Obtuse Angles

An obtuse angle is one which is more than 90° but less than 180°

i don't know what topic your on about,

please find another thread to go on about it

1) no its not, learn to read your own thread...

2) Obtuse, Adj: not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull.

I'd say this angle you're taking this thread right now is quite obtuse...

Directive 4
April 18th, 2010, 10:49 PM
1) no its not, learn to read your own thread...

2) Obtuse, Adj: not quick or alert in perception, feeling, or intellect; not sensitive or observant; dull.

I'd say this angle you're taking this thread right now is quite obtuse...

that's better,

your getting the hang of things now.:P

toupeiro
April 18th, 2010, 10:53 PM
that's better,

your getting the hang of things now.:P

wow... Not many people leave me speechless. You're probably proud of that fact, which .. ultimately rests my case..

KiwiNZ
April 18th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I agree to closure :mad::rolleyes::sad:

p.s look to the banner at the top of the Cafe