PDA

View Full Version : Executing a startup script as root?

usmanajmal
April 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Hi
The main question:
Can I make my script run as root at startup such that all commands (e.g mount, dd etc) may also run as root no matter if root , administrator, desktop user or an unprivileged user logs in?

What does the script do?
The script mounts a partition, looks for a file in that partition and finally on the basis of that file a decision of copying a partition to another partition is made. That copying is done via
dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sda5
When does the script run finely?
Script runs smoothly when I run it from the terminal by
sudo ./my_copying_script
This command asks me for the password of currently logged in user. I enter the password and the script starts working.
When does the script NOT run finely?
I want to run the script at startup. I set it a startup program by using the Startup Applications utility of Ubuntu. Script ran at startup but exited at the dd command returing following error:
dd: opening '/dev/sda2': Permission denied
I then prefixed the dd with sudo as mentioned below
sudo dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sda5
but this returned following error:
sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

quixote
April 19th, 2010, 10:27 PM
You're using dd commands in an automated script? :shock: Is that really what you want?

If yes, then I think you could have the script run with root permissions by putting it in a system dir, eg /usr/local/my-copying-script and giving it the right execute permissions.

If you're running it as a user, and "sudo ./my-copying-script" works, that implies you have it in your home directory. Is that right?