PDA

View Full Version : right what have I missed, audio glitches?

geekyhawkes
April 17th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I have been suffering with occasional audio"clicks"on my myth set up while watching dvb-t on both live tv and recordings since my first install.I had tried lots of aerials, cables amp head amp etc as wel as tweaking anything to do with audio I could find in myth but with no luck.

just recently the clicks have stopped so long as I am ripping dvds with handbrake in the background.in my simple brain I dont understand what is going on here but wondered if it could be some thing to do with cpu throttling maybe and handbrake load is enough to prevent throttling back? could it be anything else?

thanks

geekyhawkes
April 18th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I can watch tv for 20-30mins without any clicking then for about 5mins or so i will get a click every 3 seconds.

Am i the only one experiencing this?

geekyhawkes
April 30th, 2010, 03:55 PM
So my audio is definatly better when i am ripping dvds in the background so in my simple head it can only be one of two things:

1)the CPU throttling that is applied when ripping (or not)
2)Some kind of HDD data throttling/data rate/HDD spin down when using just myth

I have no idea how i can tell which of the above it is, is there someway in a bash terminal I can see the CPU throttling in use so i can try and work out what the difference is when running handbrake and myth, then just myth by itself?

Thanks

My Name
April 30th, 2010, 04:28 PM
The only thing I can think of is to try enabling/disabling the aggressive? audio buffer option. I think it is in options/livetv/general.

ian dobson
April 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hi,

This will show the cpu speed:-

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -A 6 "processor.*:.*$i" | grep "cpu MHz"

ust run it from the terminal prompt.

Regards
Ian Dobson

geekyhawkes
May 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM
I have had a play with the audio buffering options and didnt really see much change to be honest. THe problem is the clicking is pretty random so working out if anything makes a difference or not is tricky.

I will look at the cpu speed as listed above and see if the cpu is throttling back too much.

geekyhawkes
May 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
Hmm, its not CPU throttling then, the grep report is 2600, 2600 regardless of myth or myth+handbrake.

What else could be going on? Is there some sort of data throttling with the HDD?

geekyhawkes
May 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Right, after some sampling over time the cpu freq scaling isnt the problem. Is there any chance its a hard drive scaling issue (if such a thing exists?) How might i find out?