PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless not staying connected

tkoelling
April 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Having problems staying connected on my wireless in Ubuntu:

I’ve got a Dell 1720 Inspiron with a Broadcom Card: BCM4312 802.11b/g. Driver is a wl0 running driver version 5.10.91.9 My router is a NetGear with an access point about 20 feet away from router. This computer is a dual boot with Windows XP and Linux/Ubuntu 9.0

Here is the problem: If I boot in windows, I can run all day long on the wireless…no problem. If I boot into Ubuntu and I’m right next to the router then I’m OK on the wireless. If I move next to the access point (where I want to work) I can boot into Ubuntu and stay connected for a short time (4 minutes or so) then I loose the connection and have to reboot to try to get connected again.

HELP! I gotta get to work

cblah001
May 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I am having the same exact problem but it is with my connection at school. My connection at home works just fine... Anyone got any advice?

Visentem
May 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Almonst the same with me. My connection in Ubuntu runs slower than in Windows. It doesn't gets to disconnect, but it's really frustraiting. Just like a 64K connection.

udippel
May 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I am having the same exact problem but it is with my connection at school. My connection at home works just fine... Anyone got any advice?

Had you searched before posting, you would have seen that many have this problem.
Let me take a guess: at school, you're one of many. At home, you're basically one user with a high throughput. Correct?

Uwe

meithan
May 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM
We definitely need to unify all these threads into a sticky thread.

By the way, if you don't want to reboot to connect back after it drops, you can unload / reload the kernel driver. It takes a couple commands in the terminal, and it's been doing the trick for me. It's not a solution, but it saves me the reboots.

mr_biglz0rth1985
May 4th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I've been having the same issue,...I have a Dell inspiron 1501 with a b4311 wireless card from broadcom....and if I do get a connection its INCREDIBLY slow.

cblah001
May 4th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Had you searched before posting, you would have seen that many have this problem.
Let me take a guess: at school, you're one of many. At home, you're basically one user with a high throughput. Correct?

Uwe

I didn't create the thread, just tacking myself onto this one in case anyone has a solution for us. I have searched my issue? Yes. Have I found anything that is working? No. Try doling out some advice instead of criticism.

Do you have a solution or one of these threads that can help? It would be much appreciated.

PDA1
May 4th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Here's how I fixed it-
Start TERMINAL

sudo Nautilus

Go to the folder /var/lib/NetworkManager/
Edit the file NetworkManager.state to read “setting NetworkingEnabled=true”
Save the edited NetworkManager.state file
Close Nautilus
Using TERMINAL type “sudo restart network-manager”

cblah001
May 5th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I don't know if it worked for tkoelling but it was already enabled for me.

meithan
May 5th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Same here.

kachkeis
May 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hi there,

Try this thread, it's for the WPN111 but i heard that it COULD be helping for other Netgear adapters. Or You just use it for inspiration to find a solution.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1477931

Cheers,
kachkeis :smile: