PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Hunting for something I used to use.

Speakstofei
April 17th, 2010, 01:31 PM
The setup:
I'm recently reborn again in Linux and a lot of these repository descriptions can sometimes seem vague to me or just a bit overwhelming. I just installed 9.10 Server since I just wiped a brand new Windows 7 laptop to install Karmic Desktop on it. So I finally have a need for this.

The question:
Back in college I could use windows terminal to log into my schools *nix servers and could remotely login (w/ password) and it took me to bash. I believe I came across a repository of a GUI version of this feature while digging, but I want the command line version 1st. (IDK if I want it more for nostalgia or for power). Eventually I plan to have both types running though. But, what service am I looking for?
Thanks in advance.

JosephRedfern
April 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Sounds to me like you need an SSH Client.

I think it comes pre-installed as "ssh". If you're looking for an SSH Server, then you might want to check out OpenSSH

terazen
April 18th, 2010, 05:29 AM
It sounds like you were using putty to ssh into a server. There are others that work with telnet/ssh from windows, but putty is the most popular from what I've seen.

computer_guy2000
April 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM
It sounds like you were using putty to ssh into a server. There are others that work with telnet/ssh from windows, but putty is the most popular from what I've seen.
I use putty too and find it very good.

Speakstofei
April 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks all. Got it up & running:popcorn: