PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System76?

oleink
April 16th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Comparitevly speaking are their prices ok??

oleink
April 16th, 2010, 11:49 PM
anyone??

gamerchick02
April 17th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Yes.

They are slightly more pricey than some other computers, but I think they are a very good value. I own a Pangolian (version 5; they are on 7 now) and a Starling netbook (version 1; they are on version 2 now). They work out of the box with Ubuntu (I assume this is why you want one) and other Linux distros. You won't have to install Ubuntu on the machine and worry about things not working; they are designed for Ubuntu.

Both of the ones I have are awesome computers, and they have a year warranty for repairs standard.

You may want to look over the System76 subforum for more information about System76 and their products.

Amy

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Yup, they test the hardware on Ubuntu to make sure everything works. :)

MG37221
April 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM
I'm a very pleased owner of one of their fine machines (see below). I think it was a very wise purchase decision. You can chat with them (System76) in the forum by the same name, located at http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=341. Check out their website too. I found them to be extremely responsive to my emails too, which with too many companies, is all too rare. By the way, they are beautiful machines that come well configured. Mine is a race car! If you are looking for an Ubuntu supported machine, you can do a lot worse and I don't know if you can do any better, and I researched this pretty thoroughly before purchasing a laptop computer.

oleink
April 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM
awesome guys thanks! I was wondering, do they make their own drivers? And would buying a similar system (aka with the same wireless card) work with ubuntu similarly (although when I get the money I plan to buy one from them so this question isnt a huge deal)