PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's a good way to log/monitor my comcast outages?

legalguy
April 16th, 2010, 03:50 AM
For the past week or so I've been plagued by these outages that last from tens of seconds to several minutes, and affect every computer in the house. I swapped out the router and they still happen, so I'm pretty sure it's comcast. I thought it was DNS lookup at first, because one of the symptoms was it would stall at "...searching for..." but I changed to Google's DNS and it didn't make a difference. Twice it quit exactly when my podcast manager Gpodder started a download, but then the next day it didn't.
Not really much of a pattern, sometimes several an hour sometimes several hours without.

I thought it might be Comcast blocking some ports, but torrents are unaffected, you would think that's what they would block.

Is there some good logging software? I'd like to be able to see what can and can't get through, and also start a log with time of outages and length of outages so I have some documentation for if/when I complain to comcast. And if anyone is familiar with their TOS, how many legs do I have to stand on?