PDA

View Full Version : How often does your install freeze up on you?

Macfunky
April 15th, 2010, 11:56 PM
In general i find Ubuntu to be very stable but once in awhile (very rarely though) its does freeze up. This is almost always when i am browsing. Does this happen to anyone else? It only happens very rarely but it annoys me. Everything freezes up to the point that i can't even force quit a programme. I have only found it while browsing and from what it seems it doesn't matter which browser i am using (firefox, opera, epiphany, etc). Is this common or could it be something with my computer? Bear in mind it only happens once in awhile and it is usually when i have a few tabs up (i rarely have more than 10) but it does freeze up the whole system to the point where i have to hard boot my computer. Just in case it's significant i am running Ubuntu 9.04 on a 2ghz processor and 1gb ram. Does this happen to anyone else or any ideas why this could be happening to me? It NEVER happens while i am using any other applications even when they are resource intensive. Just browsing it seems. Thanks

undecim
April 16th, 2010, 12:55 AM
I haven't had it happen to me on my new laptop, and I've had it for at least 6 months now.

csousa
April 16th, 2010, 01:41 AM
Once or twice in the last 6 months.

dFlyer
April 16th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I've never had a full system crash or freeze. I sometimes do get a program that will freeze and will have to kill it from the command line. This may be due to the 10.04 beta. I had 9.10 installed up to the time they release the 10.04 beta. With 9.10, I never had a program freeze my system.

2hot6ft2
April 16th, 2010, 01:51 AM
On the laptops never (crosses fingers). On the desktop it was doing it pretty bad but booted into recovery mode and ran fsck /dev/sda3 and it hasn't done it again since (crosses the rest of his fingers).

Twitch6000
April 16th, 2010, 01:54 AM
When I was using ubuntu it was about weekly.

sydbat
April 16th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I had that happen once when I had 8.04, but not since (knocks wood).

jflaker
April 16th, 2010, 02:11 AM
In general i find Ubuntu to be very stable but once in awhile (very rarely though) its does freeze up. This is almost always when i am browsing. Does this happen to anyone else? It only happens very rarely but it annoys me. Everything freezes up to the point that i can't even force quit a programme. I have only found it while browsing and from what it seems it doesn't matter which browser i am using (firefox, opera, epiphany, etc). Is this common or could it be something with my computer? Bear in mind it only happens once in awhile and it is usually when i have a few tabs up (i rarely have more than 10) but it does freeze up the whole system to the point where i have to hard boot my computer. Just in case it's significant i am running Ubuntu 9.04 on a 2ghz processor and 1gb ram. Does this happen to anyone else or any ideas why this could be happening to me? It NEVER happens while i am using any other applications even when they are resource intensive. Just browsing it seems. Thanks

Usually FireFox (not LINUX) will freeze. possibly due to a bad javascript or even flash program

frrobert
April 16th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Sometimes the browser will lock up while I am browsing on my eee with 9.04. If I wait the browser comes back. The issue happens in both chrome and firefox but is much more frequent in firefox.

madjr
April 16th, 2010, 02:18 AM

this happened to me too

is because your computer is slow and you have an slower version of ubuntu, when you upgrade to 10.04 everything will be better

also check that a script or flash is not overloading your system, install Flashblock and adblock firefox plugins

check the TEMPERATURE, could be overheating. Get a fan

remove stuff you dont need from ram, like 3d effects, startup programs, extra applets, etc. or upgrade memory

check your disk is not getting full and check your swap

Gone fishing
April 16th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Can't remember ever having a full freeze - an X freeze, which alt control backspace (I re-enabled) maybe one in 6 months - a year.

cmat
April 16th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I haven't had a lock-up since Ubuntu 6.10 on any of my systems.

steveneddy
April 16th, 2010, 02:54 AM
This is many times caused by Flash.

I get this situation vary rarely - maybe once a month. Maybe.

swoll1980
April 16th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Never

Khakilang
April 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I use on 3 computer. My main one with Dual core processor, Pentium 3 amd and Pentium 4 notebook belong to my daughter. So far no problem except for my daughter's notebook, sometime it hang when she open 4 to 5 website in Firefox. Re install again and same thing happen other than that everything works great.

K.Mandla
April 16th, 2010, 09:55 AM
No freezes here.