PDA

View Full Version : TV to Computer

asddf
April 15th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Hello.

I want set it up so I can stream my computers media to my TV, I already have WIFI?

Is there a simple low cost way to do it?

I've seen these big set top system but, surely I don't need to spend that just to add a TV to my home network?

Paqman
April 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Is your computer close enough to your PC that you can just run a cable, or do you want to set up a media centre on your network?

cariboo907
April 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
It depends on your TV, and your video card. Many of the newer LCD TV's have vga as well as the normal connectors, HDMI, Composite, Component and S-video. If you can't directly connect your computer to the TV, then you need something that does eg: a set-top box, a media center pc or a Home theater pc.

shadowfax1
April 15th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Get an Asus O'Play or a western digital media player....Share the files on your desktop/laptop and away you go! Works perfect.

gemmakaru
April 15th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I do this in two ways, the first is to hook up my ubuntu laptop with a hdmi cable and add a second screen to the desktop. The second is to run a media server to my pc and use the playstation 3 to play the media on the tv. I use java ps3 media server, it runs perfectly in ubuntu and even does on-the-fly transcoding for formats the ps3 can't play.

nothingspecial
April 15th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Is your computer close enough to your PC that you can just run a cable, or do you want to set up a media centre on your network?

Yeah, I have one plugged in to my tv downstairs and one upstairs.

Let me be clear, I`m not some super rich person who can afford loads of computers.

The one upstairs is an old aspire one with a broken screen I picked up for 5.

The one downstairs is an old pc my work didn`t want anymore - 0

They are both controlled, through my laptop, by my super, duper, all singing, all dancing, fancy pc........which did cost me a fair bit of money.

Take pity on old computers no-one wants, and turn them into something useful.

An old mod called kmandala taught me that.

Bungo Pony
April 16th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I own two video cards with composite outputs. I just connect it to the auxilary video input on the TV and I've got a TV for a monitor. I'm looking for a desktop PC to use as a DVD player / multimedia center for my bedroom. I've got a nice wireless mouse & keyboard combo that I picked up dirt cheap.

You can probably find a used video card with a composite out pretty cheap. My first one came from a PC I found in the trash. The second one came from a PC I bought for ten bucks.

3rdalbum
April 16th, 2010, 02:49 AM
If you want to stream media files from one computer on your network to your TV, then you'll need to set up Samba (file sharing) on the computer that holds the media files, and buy a home media box that will plug into both your TV and an Ethernet port (if you don't have an Ethernet port within cooee of your TV, then many media boxes will accept one specific model of wifi dongle).

I do this; I have a server with a big hard disk, and two media boxes plugged into TVs. I have two Astone media players but there are plenty of brands; the most common ones are Popcorn Hour, Dvico, Asus and Western Digital.

asddf
April 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Whats an alright cheap media box to plug into my pc?

The ones I've seen are so expensive.

Paqman
April 16th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Whats an alright cheap media box to plug into my pc?

The ones I've seen are so expensive.

If you want cheap then the answer is second hand. All you need is a machine which has a network connection and that can output video at a high enough resolution. You could get and old PC and put a better video card in it. You could run media centre software like XBMC on it and stream the content from elsewhere on your network, or just start storing all your media on that box.

MrD_scifi
April 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I have always run svhs and audio leads to my hifi and tv with windows and this was to continue with Linux. Admittedly my room is small and I can always buy the necessary leads off the shelf to do the job.

However, I am struggling to dualview and have flash video from websites full screen on the tv. (catchup tv sources like iplayer, 4od and itvplayer in the UK) I move the browser window to the tv and then hit full screen and it full screens on the computer monitor instead. I'm still playing with it...........