PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Software Center

matt3206
April 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Ok I feel like a total noob here, I just got a hardline for the internet. Now I am trying to get all those cool programs that make ubuntu da ****!!

Problem I go into the software centre and type in **** like:
Hipo
Wine
Cheese

But I never get the option to download and install.
I am guessin I can't use the software center to get any of these.

Thanks for your help.
PUG:KS

uRock
April 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Karmic or Lucid?

Here is what my Ubuntu Software Store looks like. I searched cheese, then I clicked on more info to bring up the second shot.

dominiquec
April 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
On the menu bar of Software Center, click on Edit->Software Sources. Check all the options available there (in particular, Universe and Multiverse). The Software Center will refresh. Then try the query again.

J V
April 14th, 2010, 03:53 PM
On a new install you need to refresh the local repo list, besides that the software center won't even contain all the applications, so you should use synaptic (I wish they would let you look through the repo before you have to sudo up though)

Sef
April 14th, 2010, 04:42 PM
On a new install you need to refresh the local repo list, besides that the software center won't even contain all the applications, so you should use synaptic (I wish they would let you look through the repo before you have to sudo up though)For applications, the software center has almost all of them. If you cannot find it in the software center, then try synaptic.