PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need your ideas

elianthony
April 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Hi all, I handle IT for a small public library in northern Florida. I have a few extra machines, and I wonder if you guys had any ideas for potential uses for them. They're nothing special, single core 2.4 GHz Celeron cpus, in Dell Dimension 2400s.

Here's what we have at our library.

-11 Public Access Computers running XP Pro
-7 PACs running Ubuntu 8.04.

I have no more room for PACs, so these extra machines will have to be used in the back room. My question is what could I do with them? I don't have any glaring needs for these machines, but I'd like to make use of them to add something to what we can offer the public, or to what I can offer the staff here. I can give each one a monitor as well.

So, any ideas?

MnFork
April 13th, 2010, 03:04 PM
could always make them headless work horses for network use

That is a very nice thing to have if you can load some software that most people can't/don't want to install on their own machines. For my lab work we use remote calculation machines often, it may have a wider appeal if well publicized.

dudumomo
April 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Ah ! You can help the science !!
Through network computing !
Check this website:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

"Use the idle time on your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) to cure diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research. It's safe, secure, and easy"

If you want more information, I know quite well this as I'm running the software on my personal machines but also where I'm working.

elianthony
April 14th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, please keep 'em coming!