PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kickstart server kernel

fatfranko
April 13th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Is there a way to use PXE to install the ubuntu-server edition so it uses the server kernel? So far I can only get it to install the standard version with the generic kernel. The post install script can install the server kernel and possibly remove the generic one but I'd rather install the server one from the beginning. Is there a way to do it or am I left with the unclean solution of install server kernel and purge the generic one?

I've looked through system-config-kickstart package and couldn't find an option for this, does it go by another name?

fatfranko
April 14th, 2010, 07:13 PM
*bump* :)

vikjon0
October 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Not 100% sure how it is working with the installer, most of it seem to be built into the initrd, and there is only one netboot I think.

Have you tried running it in expert mode?
You could also try running it agains the server cd (stored on the server). Point a web server to the CD and enter the address as mirror (select "enter manually" as country).
I guess the latter will not make any difference.

vikjon0
October 26th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I checked the server cd and your best best would be to run the server-seed

label 999
MENU LABEL Server expert mode
KERNEL Ubuntu/lucidAltCD/linux
APPEND preseed/url=http://192.168.0.130/pxe/lucidAltCD/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed initrd=Ubuntu/lucidAltCD/initrd.gz
TEXT HELP
Boot Installer with server seed in expert mode
ENDTEXT

Of course the ubuntu-server.seed must be in that location..which it will be if you replace AltCD with Server cd and copy the content of the CD there. netboot from any cd will do.