PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Conflicted (whats the best server distro?)

cK`
April 13th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Hey guys,

I have been gathering information on the best server distro,

and it seems many people would turn me to either debian, slackware, or freeBSD.

What are your thoughts about unbuntu server? Can it compete with debian or slackware?

What are your thoughts on the best distro.

Thanks for any feed back it is much appreciated. and will be used in making my distro decision :P

KB1JWQ
April 13th, 2010, 02:45 AM
It's almost irrelevant. Common packages work across all of the above and then some.

It really becomes a question of "Who's going to admin/support it?"

Go with their preferences.

Sporkman
April 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Ubuntu Server is just as good as any of the above. Go with it.

dudumomo
April 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
It is may be not in the best forum to ask for :)

But, I've been using gentoo for a couple years now and when I decided to host my server, I've firstly used gentoo (Very stable, light and fast) but so damn difficult to administrate... Even if I know Gentoo for using on my desktop and laptop, I had no idea on how to use it for a server...and well, that was tricky...
Finally, I've hesitated between Debian and Ubuntu. (Not Unbuntu ;) ). And finally I had a try with Ubuntu, and it is so damn easy to administrate and to install anything !

But Debian should be a bit more stable (Ubuntu server is quite stable actually...I didn't restart my server yet...)
but Ubuntu seems to be easier than Debian.

So...I don't think we can say that Debian or Ubuntu is the best distrib for a server. I rather think it will depends on the admin :guitar:

Some people prefer using Debian, some others Ubuntu.
In my case I don't like the Debian repository system (Basically 3 trees)
I prefer of course the Gentoo portage, but I'm fine with ubuntu so far !