PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Studio XPS 16 and ATI graphics

Zorgoth
April 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Will the graphics in a studio XPS 16 work with linux to the extent that I can have decent compiz and cairo-dock and at least some 3D gaming? Catalyst says it supports it but I've read a lot of different people saying that ATI graphics are no good with linux. However, I like the Studio XPS 16 because unlike most laptops in its range it has SSD and full HD RBG LED options and is about the weight and size I want. So what level 3D will I get with catalyst support?

Compiz/glx-dock?, 3D linux games?, WoW and other Windows games under Wine? I would rather have an nVidia card but everyone and particularly dell seems to be selling ATI.

The best deal I've seen with nVidia is the Sony Vaio F but that weighs 7 pounds and has no RBG LED and the SSD option prices it up by 600 dollars. Some of the Best Buy laptops look OK too, but again they tend to weigh a lot. Seems I have to get it from a big vendor because the little ones don't usually offer accidental damage protection which to me a is a must.

Or maybe the discrete graphics are somehow upgradeable without voiding the warranty? (I don't expect them to be, but maybe I'm lucky...)

Odd_sam
April 26th, 2010, 02:05 AM
yes I have the ATI Mobility Raedon HD 4670 and while the whole machine runs a little too hot for my liking but it runs everything I ask it to nicely and smooth... Lucid includes some nice open source drivers for the ATI card and but suspend seems to be broken and I don't know why. But the drivers ATI offers that are closed source are equally as nice but appears to be unnecessary.

hfdragon
May 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, I can confirm that suspend is broken.
I had it working with karmic with 64bits.

Now after upgrading to lucid, it's the only thing that's not working :(

Odd_sam
May 5th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Using the drivers from ATI.com you can once again use suspend. The boot graphics become distorted but it works. Also your boot slows by about 5-10 seconds.