PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I unplug internal fan in gateway netbook?

CTenorman
April 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hi,

I just got a Gateway netbook, and it's fantastic in just about every respect except that the fan is constantly on, even when at idle, and the CPU monitor showing virtually no activity in Lucid. The highest temperature on all the sensors is 49 degrees, even after considerable loading.

I'm under the impression that Atoms can handle a lot more heat than that. I've tried everything (all the guides here and then some) to turn off the fan with software, but I wondered if it might be possible to just unplug the internal fan? I haven't decided 100% whether I'll keep this machine yet, but obviously disconnecting the fan would prevent me returning it.

Does anyone know if unplugging the internal fan on my Gateway netbook is possible/advisable?

Thanks!

WinterRain
April 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I would advise against unplugging the fan. The laptop would most likely overheat quickly.

2hot6ft2
April 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't advise it. It would heat up real fast and overheat, the fan is the only thing keeping it cool. So it would become an expensive paperweight. It would definitely void any warranty. 49C is about 120F.

CTenorman
April 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I guess it's back to the store for the little netbook!