PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting X11 Display variable

guilly
April 12th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Hi Guys,

quick question. I have visudo file configured to allow certain applications run via a regular user with sudo powers. The issue I'm having is that I can not seem to get X server to forward properly.

I think the issue is that since it's a regular user running the application with sudo powers it is sending the X11 to root's X session and not the regular users?

Has anyone had this issue before?

cdenley
April 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Did you try gksudo?

guilly
April 12th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Did you try gksudo?

Unfortunately I do not have gksudo command, this is a SLES10 box. The equivalent would be sux command for SLES however we do not want to give the user access to the root password but simply allow the user to run certain applications with root power. Hence the use of visudo.

cdenley
April 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately I do not have gksudo command, this is a SLES10 box. The equivalent would be sux command for SLES however we do not want to give the user access to the root password but simply allow the user to run certain applications with root power. Hence the use of visudo.

Well it doesn't seem to be a problem in ubuntu. What exactly is the error you get?

sudo DISPLAY=:0 myguicommand

Perhaps posting your sudoers file will help.

guilly
April 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I realize it isn't a Ubuntu issue, But I know the Ubuntu community is very well supported compare to other distro's and from what I can tell this is a common issue across distro's.

This is the error I am getting:

Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
at java.applet.Applet.<init>(Applet.java:75)
at javax.swing.JApplet.<init>(JApplet.java:131)
at COM.ibm.storage.adsm.cadmin.clientgui.DDsmApplet.<init>(DDsmApplet.java:416)
at COM.ibm.storage.adsm.cadmin.clientgui.DDsmApplet.m ain(DDsmApplet.java:806)
/home/userA

cdenley
April 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I realize it isn't a Ubuntu issue, But I know the Ubuntu community is very well supported compare to other distro's and from what I can tell this is a common issue across distro's.

This is the error I am getting:

Exception in thread "main" java.awt.HeadlessException:
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
at java.applet.Applet.<init>(Applet.java:75)
at javax.swing.JApplet.<init>(JApplet.java:131)
at COM.ibm.storage.adsm.cadmin.clientgui.DDsmApplet.<init>(DDsmApplet.java:416)
at COM.ibm.storage.adsm.cadmin.clientgui.DDsmApplet.m ain(DDsmApplet.java:806)
/home/userA

And you still get that error when setting the DISPLAY variable like with the command I gave? And once again, your sudoers file might be helpful.

sudo cat /etc/sudoers

guilly
April 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
And you still get that error when setting the DISPLAY variable like with the command I gave? And once again, your sudoers file might be helpful.

sudo cat /etc/sudoers

I apologize I did not see your request for my sudoers file. I seem to have fixed the problem by commenting out Default always_set_home and Defaults env_reset. However, I'm not sure if this causes any risks. Any thoughts?

dwarfolo
April 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM
If you nedd to grant access only to local users you can use xhost.

xhost local:root

cdenley
April 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I apologize I did not see your request for my sudoers file. I seem to have fixed the problem by commenting out Default always_set_home and Defaults env_reset. However, I'm not sure if this causes any risks. Any thoughts?

Well the comments in your sudoers file gives specific examples where allowing the user's variables to be used in the sudo session can result in security problems. I think a better solution would be to keep only the variables needed. Try adding this line to your original sudoers file.

Defaults env_keep = "DISPLAY XAUTHORITY XDG_SESSION_COOKIE"

guilly
April 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Well the comments in your sudoers file gives specific examples where allowing the user's variables to be used in the sudo session can result in security problems. I think a better solution would be to keep only the variables needed. Try adding this line to your original sudoers file.

That created another issue, now it's complaining about Putty X11 proxy: wrong authentication protocol attempted.

I've verified that xauth list has the proper cookies set for the root account so they match my regular user

cdenley
April 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
That created another issue, now it's complaining about Putty X11 proxy: wrong authentication protocol attempted.

I've verified that xauth list has the proper cookies set for the root account so they match my regular user

Are you running these sudo commands remotely with putty?

guilly
April 12th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Are you running these sudo commands remotely with putty?

Yes, We need our users to be able to run a backup application remotely via putty.

dwarfolo
April 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
A quick google search has returned this

http://froebe.net/blog/2008/11/14/getting-xlib-putty-x11-proxy-wrong-authentication-protocol-attempted-i-have-the-answer/

guilly
April 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM
A quick google search has returned this

http://froebe.net/blog/2008/11/14/getting-xlib-putty-x11-proxy-wrong-authentication-protocol-attempted-i-have-the-answer/

As stated before, I've already checked this.

cdenley
April 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM
As stated before, I've already checked this.

Try commenting out "Default always_set_home", but leave "Defaults env_reset". Also, I think the other line I gave you may not be needed.

guilly
April 12th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Try commenting out "Default always_set_home", but leave "Defaults env_reset". Also, I think the other line I gave you may not be needed.

I've already tried both. Thanks, I think I will leave both commented out. These servers are only being used on a secured network, I think I will trust the users not to do anything malicious to roots home environment.

Thanks for the help!

ajft
May 28th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I've already tried both. Thanks, I think I will leave both commented out. These servers are only being used on a secured network, I think I will trust the users not to do anything malicious to roots home environment.

Thanks for the help!

I think I'm hunting for a solution to the same problem -- we've got backup operators who login via "ssh -X" as a non-privileged account, then use sudo to run ad-hoc backups and restores. SLES10 has locked down sudo so that X11 progs. can't operate by default.

With the following three settings, sudo is now able to invoke X11 gui progs.

#Defaults always_set_home
Defaults env_reset

HTH.
Adrian