PDA

View Full Version : USB 3.0 Motherboards

Mythgruntled
April 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I'm starting to plan a new HTPC which will run Mythbuntu, and am wondering if anyone has tried Mythbuntu with any of the new USB 3.0 motherboards yet? So far I think only Asus and Gigbyte make them.

ian dobson
April 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hi

Most motherboards use a NEC uPD720200 chip for the USB3 ports.

Found this at http://www.thinkcomputers.org/gigabyte-introduces-full-range-of-motherboards-featuring-onboard-usb-3-0-sata-3-0-and-3x-usb-power/

Linux folks can enjoy support now, as the Linux kernel has had support since 2.6.31, which came out in September. Of course, there are few, if any consumer devices on the market yet which use it...

There aren't that many devices that can use the full bandwidth of sata3/usb3.

Regards
Ian Dobson

cascade9
April 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
As yet, there is no USB3.0 from the chipset, just external chips (like ian dobson sasid). Its meant to be coming, sooner rather than later, but even the motherboards with chipsets that are meant to have native USB 3.0 support (like the new AMD 8xx series) still have external chips, for now.

There aren't that many devices that can use the full bandwidth of sata3/usb3.

True, well, as far as I know no single device will use the full SATA3 bandwidth. Some of the fastest SSDs are faster than SATA2 though, so while nothing uses it all, some things can do with it (but they are rare).

As for USB 3, same thing....but it should (hopefully) help with the 'they run much slower than they are capable of going' issue with hard drives and flash drives on USB 2.0.

Mythgruntled
April 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys - not sure if I'm game to be the first to try one with Mythbuntu, although it doesn't sound like it should be a problem.