PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I'm locked out of XFCE...

SantaFe
April 12th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Don't know quite how this happened, well yes I do. I was logged into my XFCE session, and decided to try to change the window decoration at the top of each window, was tired of the default & wanted to see different ones.

So anyway I went into Window-Manager and clicked on the first one shown. Didn't like that one so I clicked on two more. The fourth one I clicked on suddenly made my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 2 system reboot. Not only that, after I entered my login info, it reboots right after the splash screen (the one with the spinning cog & the mouse running inside it) finishes. PooP, back to the Dell boot up screen then the Login screen. Lucky for me GNOME was still an option so I chose that, and ran Synaptic to see if perhaps removing XFWM and the Xubuntu packages & reinstalling them would work.

Sadly it still dies after the XFCE splash screen, but now it goes right to the login screen.:(

Should I just go back into Synaptic & remove everything connected to XFCE & then repick them? Or is there some text file that has the window manager themes listed & hopefully a backup of the original one in case the one I picked was one I added instead of a system supplied one?:confused::D

Simian Man
April 12th, 2010, 04:16 AM
This has happened to me when creating my own Xfwm themes. It's possible to segfault the window manager with a badly done theme. I'm kind of shocked that Xubuntu came with such a bug however.

There is a text file somewhere under ~/.config that stores your current xfwm theme. I am away from my Linux machine now, but I will post the location tomorrow if nobody has by that time.

MooPi
April 12th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Found the .config file.
~/.config/xfce4/xconf/xfce-perchannel.xml/xsettings.xml Login to recovery mode and edit this xml.

Simian Man
April 12th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Actually the file MooPi gave contains the information for your Gtk+ theme, not your xfwm window manager theme. Edit the following file instead:

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml

And find this line:

<property name="theme" type="string" value="Simian"/>

Where value is equal to the window theme you chose which broke everything. Change it to some safe theme which you have installed. I don't know which themes Xubuntu comes with as I'm using Fedora, but you can do:

ls -l /usr/share/themes/* | grep -B 3 xfwm

Which will list all of the themes you have installed which come with an xfwm theme. You can try "Xfce", "Sassandra", or "Redmond" which will probably be there.

SantaFe
April 12th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hmmmm.... used root terminal & tried this:

root@santafe-desktop:~#
root@santafe-desktop:~# cd ~/.config/
root@santafe-desktop:~/.config# ls
enchant qtcurve Trolltech.conf
root@santafe-desktop:~/.config#

Can't seem to find /XFCE4/ anywhere. Somethings messed up. May just reinstall the Xubuntu 10.04 Beta2 cd I burned & try again.

Thanks for the ideas though. :)

Simian Man
April 12th, 2010, 11:48 PM
You shouldn't do that as root. When root cd's into "~" it will go into roots home directort (/root) which is not where your user settings are stored. Do those commands as your non-priveleged user and you should find it.

SantaFe
April 13th, 2010, 03:34 AM
You shouldn't do that as root. When root cd's into "~" it will go into roots home directort (/root) which is not where your user settings are stored. Do those commands as your non-priveleged user and you should find it.

Okay, thanks. But the point is kinda moot. While I was in GNOME I was looking in /usr/bin/ & found xfce4-settings-manager, which I right clicked on & picked Execute. Up popped the XFCE Settings window which had the Window Manager icon. Needless to say I was ecstatic. :lolflag: Picked one I KNEW worked and am back up. Why didn't I think of this in the first place? ;) So I guess this one can be called Solved.

Simian Man
April 13th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Okay, thanks. But the point is kinda moot. While I was in GNOME I was looking in /usr/bin/ & found xfce4-settings-manager, which I right clicked on & picked Execute. Up popped the XFCE Settings window which had the Window Manager icon. Needless to say I was ecstatic. :lolflag: Picked one I KNEW worked and am back up. Why didn't I think of this in the first place? ;) So I guess this one can be called Solved.

Ha ha, that is an easier solution isn't it?