PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Barebone compatible?

Hal1ow3en
April 11th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I intend to use this barebone for my new desktop http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/41936/Asus-barebone-PC-system-Terminator-T3-P5G31A (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/41936/Asus-barebone-PC-system-Terminator-T3-P5G31A)

I looked on compatible barebones and it only lists the asus pundit. Would it still be possible to install karmic on this?

I have no experience with linux and and would also like to know what parts would be the best choice for this barebone for a smooth installation, the programs I will use will be the gimp and KDEnlive for photo and video editing as well as a little artwork with a wacom tablet so will probabally require a graphics card. note the system will only have a 300w psu but I only intend to do light video editing mainly for my experiences with the gimp and ubuntu and put them on youtube.

been years since I used a shuttle barebone and I knew more about computers then than now so any advice would be appriciated. How easy is ubuntu to get working on a system with no other os, most info I've read assumes there is currently another os installed.

heres the components I'm thinking of, a faster processor and more ram are on my mind but I figured I'd try keep cost to a minimum.

Intel Celeron Dual Core (E3400) 2.6GHz Processor
2GB CCL Choice 800MHz DDR2 Memory Stick

320GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 3.5" Hard Disk Drive

LG GH22NS50 22x DVDRW

XFX Radeon HD 4550 / 512MB / PCI Express 2.0

WinterRain
April 12th, 2010, 12:16 AM
It seems like everything should work fine. Nvidia has better graphics support in linux, but you should be OK.

Hal1ow3en
April 12th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the reply,

I figure the alternative graphics card would be:

Sparkle GF NX8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCI-E

these specs seem ok to run KDEnlive with? comfortably?

WinterRain
April 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I figure the alternative graphics card would be:

Sparkle GF NX8400GS 512MB DDR2 PCI-E

these specs seem ok to run KDEnlive with? comfortably?

You should have no problems that I can see. Good luck.