PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing MUSH (MUD-type text game server)

Th3Professor
April 11th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I've tried installing PennMUSH but it came up with an error when I ran the configure and make install commands. I'm not sure what's going on, am wondering - could someone help?

The only change I made in the config for the actual mush was I added '=' as an option for chat channels in the mush. Everything else is default.

I don't know if it'll need just a fresh delete and complete redo on install. That's fine if it does. I haven't done anything with it since I received the error messages.

Here are the last few lines after typing "make install" that show errors:

chunk.c: In function `chunk_init':
chunk.c:2364: warning: implicit declaration of function `posix_fallocate'
chunk.c: In function `chunk_fork_file':
chunk.c:2508: warning: implicit declaration of function `posix_fadvise'
chunk.c:2508: error: `POSIX_FADV_SEQUENTIAL' undeclared (first use in this function)
chunk.c:2508: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
chunk.c:2508: error: for each function it appears in.)
chunk.c:2526: error: `POSIX_FADV_RANDOM' undeclared (first use in this function)
chunk.c: In function `chunk_fork_child':
chunk.c:2555: error: `POSIX_FADV_RANDOM' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [chunk.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/[omitted]/pennmush-1.8.3p13/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

fang0654
April 12th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I just downloaded the source and tried compiling it on 10.04 without any issues. I did the following:

make update
make
sudo checkinstall

You'll need to apt-get install checkinstall first.

Try removing your change and compiling to at least narrow down the trouble.

Th3Professor
April 12th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Installing the mush server app on a server running centos linux system. I don't appear to be in the sudoers file. Any work arounds?

fang0654
April 12th, 2010, 06:31 AM
CentOS doesn't use sudo in the way Ubuntu does.

You have to install it as root.

su -
checkinstall

Th3Professor
April 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM
su -
...doesn't work. :/

fang0654
April 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM
su - root
?

Th3Professor
April 13th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I don't have root privileges. su - root doesn't work. I have installed apps before, even ones that would "supposedly require" root access. I'm not sure why this one isn't working. :( EDit: Correction: I have installed server apps without requiring root type access (installed "locally" within a given account). That doesn't seem to be working in this case.

Th3Professor
April 15th, 2010, 12:21 AM
<bump>
...is there a way to install the text-game server without root-type of access?

Th3Professor
April 16th, 2010, 06:07 PM
bump
anybody?

Th3Professor
April 18th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I've tried installing PennMUSH but it came up with an error when I ran the configure and make install commands. I'm not sure what's going on, am wondering - could someone help?

The only change I made in the config for the actual mush was I added '=' as an option for chat channels in the mush. Everything else is default.

I don't know if it'll need just a fresh delete and complete redo on install. That's fine if it does. I haven't done anything with it since I received the error messages.

Th3Professor
April 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
nevermind