PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Symlinks suddenly don't work via Samba interface!

neutron68
April 11th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I've got a cron.hourly job set to create human-readable filenames and put them in a "Pretty" directory. The cron job calls the script "/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/user_jobs/mythrename.pl" once per hour.

My cron script looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/user_jobs/mythrename.pl --link /var/lib/mythtv/pretty --verbose --format "%T %- %Y-%m-%d, %g-%i %A %- %S"

I made the cron job executable with the command:

sudo chmod 755 /etc/cron.hourly/prettynames

In order for the mythrename.pl script to be allowed to run, I had to make it executable, also:

sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/user_jobs/mythrename.pl

This all works fine and the /var/lib/mythtv/pretty directory is populated with nice, readable filenames.
I have the "Pretty" directory set as a shared directory in SAMBA. I regularly browse to this directory from my Windows computers over the SAMBA interface. In this way, I am able to drag these symlinks onto the hard drives of Windows computers and I get the full video files, with human-readable filenames, etc.

But, a few days ago (April 6), the symlinks in the "Pretty" directory stopped working. When I try to drag these files to a Windows machine, I get an error box that says "Cannot copy file: Cannot read from source file or disk." I also get a similar message from VLC Player when I double-click on one of these simlinks from a Windows comupter. VLC Player says:
File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "\\Mythbuntu8\pretty\Star Trek- Enterprise - Anomaly - 2010-04-09, 10-59 AM.mpg".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL '\\Mythbuntu8\pretty\Star Trek- Enterprise - Anomaly - 2010-04-09, 10-59 AM.mpg'. Check the log for details.

Is this happening to any one else? Any idea how I fix the symlinks?

Eric

Neon Dusk
April 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I think you need to add

follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes
unix extensions = no

to the [global] section of your /etc/samba/smb.conf

Note that this is potential security risk

See
http://www.samba.org/samba/news/symlink_attack.html

And other threads here - 1 2

neutron68
April 12th, 2010, 01:33 AM
I think you need to add

follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes
unix extensions = no

Thanks for the idea. I can try adding those lines.

The part that confuses me is that the Mythbuntu machine has been working fine the way it is since 9.10 was released in fall of 2009 - months. Then, something changed around April 6.

I am subscribed to the Mythbuntu 0.22 repo updates.
I wonder if one of the Mythbuntu repo updates changed something on me?
I wonder if someone else on the forum has experienced this change too?

Eric

neutron68
April 12th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I think you need to add

follow symlinks = yes
wide links = yes
unix extensions = no

It worked! Thank you!

Suppose it was the updates that changed the settings so they would not work?

Eric

tgm4883
April 12th, 2010, 04:19 AM
It wasn't the auto-builds as that is only mythtv updates. Likely it was a security update

neutron68
April 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM
It wasn't the auto-builds as that is only mythtv updates. Likely it was a security update
Sounds plausible. Does the Update Manager have a log?

Thanks,
Eric

ian dobson
April 12th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Hi,

A samba update (from security) about 2 weeks ago changed something in samba, so that when it found symbolic links in a share it shutdown.

Regards
Ian Dobson