PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] AMD Vs. Intel

RasterBurn
April 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM
hello, I seem to be faced with a small delema in terms of hardware, what I am wondering is more or less what i should setup for a machine for my wife, i have a spare machine sitting in the corner that i am considering for her, she likes the look of the case, some simple information that would be important in the choice would be what she needs the machine for....

Internet browsing
instant messaging
gaming
word processing
very little graphics design / 3d rendering

I want her to be able to load up any application on her computer without any problems her current machine is:

2gb ram (1x 1gb stick, 2x 512mb stick)
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8Ghz
Benq DVD-RW
ATI Radeon 9600 256mb graphics
250gb SATA HDD
1x 120mm Green LED casefan

I know its low end, but it will be upgraded when i can afford it, the spare machine contains / will contain (will move some hardware over from the current)

1.5gb ram (1x 1gb stick, 1x 512mb stick) only 2 slots on the mobo, dont have enough 1gb sticks
AMD Sempron 64bit 3000+ @ 1.8Ghz
Benq DVD-RW
ATI Radeon 9600 256mb graphics
250gb SATA HDD
1x 120mm casefan (blowing in from front), 1x 80mm blue LED casefan (blowing in from side), 1x 120mm Green LED casefan (blowing out back)

both machines are single core processors and both being older models, the machine will be setup to dualboot XP with a second hard drive just for GuildWars but anyways, in your peoples oppinions which will have the better performance? it will run primarily on Ubuntu

dptxp
April 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM
The only major difference I see in the processors. Use the AMD, I have a Sempron 2500+ with 512 MB RAM and it runs fine. At least you can use 64 bit OS with it.

RasterBurn
April 11th, 2010, 09:16 PM
thats what i am thinking, would the x86-64 support outweigh the 1Ghz difference in terms of performance, from what i understand a 64bit processor will do a 32bit task twice as fast on a 64bit OS, i forgot to mention there are alot of movies that get encoded to dvd from AVI my computer (specs are in my sig.) will encode a movie in 20 - 30 minutes, can also encode 4 movies in about 1 hour, her computer on the other hand takes about 1 - 2 hours to encode the same movie and i know ati cards run better with amd processors then I think 1gb sticks of ram for the tower are only about $50 out here so i am not overly concerned about ram at the moment after all thats what swap is for :P so yeah, anyways, would the x86-64 outweigh the 1Ghz difference?