PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing the login window

Hogeyfur
April 11th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I'm trying to change my Login window and have trouble

so far I've downloaded a tar.gz with GNOME art and i cant seem to find a way to install it???

sorry for being a noob

Krekama
July 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM
I've found this same problem in ubuntu 10.4 , i checked out #ubuntu help in irc and was told it seems to be disabled....

WinRiddance
July 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM
If Ubuntu is your only installed operating system and/or if you elected for the system to log you in automatically ... there's no point in trying to change the login screen since you'd never see it anyway.

If you're a noob try not to do too much at once ... unless you don't care if you accidentally wipe out your system. That's part of the downside of "unrestricted freedom" i.e. the ability for us noobs to break things so much faster and more severely if we don't really know what we're doing. It's really easy to mess things up when you're mixing compiz with various other settings ... playing around with different docks without first removing the one that you've decided not to use ... making complex changes in themes that may conflict with graphic chip compatibility ... and so on .... :D

Krekama
July 25th, 2010, 07:29 AM
winriddance: I agree with what your saying, but because i'm not always home i dont want to use an auto logon. Unless i could auto logon then screenlock. This prevents unauthorized use of my box.

Doesn't sound likely but my wife has friends over and "i let them borrow it for a minute" turns into "they got a virus on it".

It's not a big deal for me but, i really enjoyed that in 7.x when you could change the location of the logon window.

jerrykenny
July 25th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I would first try

sudo apt-get install gdm-themes

then have a look here . .

http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/ubuntu-gdm-themes-how-to-customize-the-login