PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] recommended migration of ubuntu 9.10 during hardware upgrade

dbloom
April 10th, 2010, 11:35 PM
hi,

been running ubuntu for years on AMD (Athlon XP 2500+) and nforce-based motherboard. I'm (finally) going to upgrade to Phenom II X4 and I was thinking that if stick with nvidia graphics and chipset as well as amd cpu, i could probably swap my current hard drive into the new pc.

i realize a clean install is always the best option, but was wondering if the folks on the forum thought i could get away with this. I'd probably upload most of files to dropbox just in case. but what do you guys think?

Thanks!

ajgreeny
April 11th, 2010, 12:24 AM
Certainly worth trying; nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Very often the system will detect the different hardware and use what software drivers are needed, at least enough to boot. It is possible you may have problems with the grub menu pointing to a nonexistent UUID, but it ought not to if the disk is just lifted from one machine and put into the other.

dbloom
April 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM
well, i guess i will venture. seems to me that the lack of responses suggest that this is either incredibly foolish or entirely rudimentary. i'm hoping its the latter. :)

i'll post back if i succeed. i may need a clean install anyway since the setup can support (and possibly require for decent performance) a 64-bit OS.

we'll see. thanks.

dbloom
April 15th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Well, it works. It seems to recognize everything just fine. pretty cool. i can finally play HD mp4 files. doesn't seem perfectly stable though. Do you think I should reinstall the kernel or anything like that?

thanks.