PDA

View Full Version : Advice on hardware to run Ubuntu 64bit with Virtualbox Windows 7 64 bit guest

VirtualUser
April 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I'm going to build a new box that will boot in Ubuntu 64bit. But there are a few applications that I will still need to run in Windows, so I will run a Virtualbox guest Windows 7 64bit on the system to handle those.

I will also use the system to run Stata MP to analyze large datasets. (Details of that package if you are interested: http://www.stata.com/statamp/

I am particularly concerned about Ubuntu compatibility and the virtualization working correctly using Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/).

I have created specs for 2 systems with almost identical pricing and am curious on thoughts to go one way or another, and also any recommendations for substitutions.

System 1 (P55)
-------------------
Asus® P7P55D-E
Intel® Core™ i7-860
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTS 250 512MB GDDR3 w/ PhysX
8GB Kingston HyperX Dual-Channel DDR3-1333MHz Low Latency
1.0TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 7200rpm 32MB Cache

System 2 (X58)
-------------------
Gigabyte® X58 (GA-X58A-UD3R)
Intel® Core® i7-930
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTS 250 512MB GDDR3 w/ PhysX
6GB Kingston HyperX Triple-Channel DDR3-1600MHz Low Latency
1.0TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Would you go with System 1 or System 2 for the purposes I am planning? Any compatibility issues you can think of with Ubuntu 64bit host and Windows 7 64-bit Guest running under Virtualbox?

I appreciate your thoughts!

rtilson
April 11th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I run win7 64-bit guest with 10.04 host on my laptop with 4gig ram and a core 2 duo. Everything works fine and havent had any problems with. it Although I use Vmware Player, to me gives a little better performance over virtualbox.

To me your system choices should work quite well for virtualization. If you are really concerned with virtual performance you can look into a motherboard that supports intel vt-d.

VirtualUser
April 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM
That is good news. Is that VMPlayer that you use the free of charge one? Or the one that you must pay for?

Thank you for your help.

rtilson
April 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
VMware is free of charge, although you have to register with VMware before you can download. But they dont spam you with unwanted emails.

VirtualUser
April 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Very helpful. Thank you!