PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Professional Graphics Cards for OpenGL gaming?

Zorgoth
April 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I read a bit about professional graphics cards because I noticed that some business-oriented laptops seemed like good deals for home users. I read that professional cards have much better OpenGL performance than consumer cards. Does this mean that if I get a computer with a consumer and a professional card that have similar benchmarks the professional card will be better?

I think that depending on my budget (which will depend on a job offer) I will either get a Dell Vostro with a GeForce G 310M or one of these two computers (note that I will not carry a laptop more than 7 pounds. I dream futilely of the Sony Vaio Z):

An HP EliteBook with a core i7-620M, a Quadro FX 880m, and 4 GB DDR3 1333MHz

A Sony Vaio Z with a core i7-720QM, a GeForce GT 330m, and 4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

The EliteBook has a markedly slower processor according to notebookcheck.com and the Quadro FX 880M is slightly better on 3DMark 05. Other differences include more battery life on the EliteBook (important to me because I fly a lot), and a $120 cost difference ($1650 for the Vaio, $1770 for the EliteBook, both including 3-year accidental damage warranties), the EliteBook being somewhat lighter, and the EliteBook having a 1600x900 display while the Vaio has full 1080p.

I would really rather have a notebook in the 3-6 pound range but getting these specs in that range is way more expensive.

Fafler
April 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The GT 330m is clocked a bit higher, otherwise they're pretty much the same. Same amount of shaders, same memory architecture. Take a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeF orce_300M_.283xxM.29_series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro#Mobile_applications

Unless you need the extra stuff the Quadro chip can do, and with cuda, i'm not even sure what that is anymore, go for the Geforce. Both of them, based on the specs and not actual benchmarks, should have similar performance to a 9700 GTS.