PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VERBATIM 4GB STORE 'N' GO EXECUTIVE USB DRIVE & Ubuntu

aggelos_930
April 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM
http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en_1/product_store-n-go-usb-executive-4gb_12036.html

I want to buy this flash drive but is it compatible with ubuntu?
As I see at the verbatim site it has some kind of encryption software.
Is there any chance that i would be unable to use the device because of this software's incompatibility with ubuntu?

yelvington
April 10th, 2010, 06:44 PM
The specs for that device clearly say that it works with:

Windows ME, 2000, XP, Vista
Mac OS 9 or higher
Linux 2.4.0 or higher
Compatible with Windows 7

Generally, devices like this come formatted with FAT filesystems and preloaded with Windows software. You can't make use of the Windows software. You can just delete the software and, if you want, reformat the device using any filesystem supported by Linux, or even partition it.

aggelos_930
April 10th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I see. It should be like my WD external HDD. You can store data but you can't use their software.

KittyChunk
January 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I'm having problems with a Verbatim V-Secure Executive USB drive in Ubuntu. This drive has a separate small partition containing some (Windows-only, sigh) login and encryption software, which is all that mounts when the drive is plugged into an Ubuntu machine. On a Windows box, the software then autoruns, asks you for a password, and then mounts the rest of the drive space as a separate partition.

In Ubuntu, fdisk/gparted etc don't even see the small partition after the drive has mounted (it only mounts read-only), so no dice reformatting it from linux. In Windows, the partition structure on the drive is also locked even after you've logged in with the password, so Windows' built-in tools aren't able to delete or reformat the partitions either

This drive was given to me as a gift, but it's basically a doorstop unless I can find a way to reformat it for normal use in Ubuntu :). Any suggestions?

-q

dandnsmith
January 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Your best bet is to try to ignore what is there and create a new partition table (or treat the device as a single 'partition', and format that as FAT).

One problem is that Windows doesn't like partitions on these USB sticks, and can give problems handling them. I'd got into linux, unmount any bits on the stick, and then format the whole device after creating the FAT filesystem. You may need then to redo the op under Windows, just to get it properly usable.

Sorry - incoherent, but I hope it helps.