PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What are the most friendly printers with linux

coldfusion1313
April 9th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I am looking to buy a printer and I want to know some printers that are extremely friendly with Linux.
thanks

oldsoundguy
April 9th, 2010, 11:18 PM
HP .. hands down!
I have also had good luck with Epson (the high end stuff)
Rotten luck with Lexmark (Dell), as most of them do NOT work out of the box.
Off and on with Cannon.

Rule of thumb, if you bought your printer at a drug store from an aisle display and paid under 50 bucks for it, good chance it won't work.
Or if it costs more for ink carts than it cost for the printer, you have a boat anchor, door stop, truck chock unless you are willing to do a LOT of work and research to get the proper drivers installed.

cjazz
April 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
It's generally acknowledged that Hewlett Packard models have tremendous support. Epsons tend to work well too, and Brother generally supplies its own Linux drivers. Before you buy check out any candidates at the OpenPrinting site here. (http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting)

albert s
April 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM
going by my recent research for printers I would agree HP,
and you can get them fairly cheap now too,
an all in one F4580 wifi costs less than 40UK at the mo, (about <$70us?)

jimmy the saint
April 10th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I would say HP but lately their build quality is driving me nuts. Maybe I got unlucky with the 8500 I bought, but After taking the first one back I think it is just the way it is designed.

WinterRain
April 10th, 2010, 03:13 AM
HP is plug and play in ubuntu.

sgosnell
April 10th, 2010, 03:19 AM
HP works, but IME Brother works just as well. It can take a little more work to get the scanner driver installed, because you have to do it manually, but once it's there Brothers work very well, and Brother provides Linux support for everything. Installing HPLIP has been all that was necessary to get every HP printer I've tried working, but as noted, HP quality is not quite perfect. My next printer will likely be a Brother.

bhmildy
April 10th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I've got 2 printers plugged in at the same time in Ubuntu 9.10
HP Officejet 6210 inkjet fax/scan/print
brother laser hl 2410

the brother is new.
both work perfectly. in fact, the HP has been hell getting to work with vista and win7. The 600 MB director software doesn't scan color properly, and scans are washed out. Most times, the app won't even open. I've installed it in a win2k guest in Virtualbox.

HPLIP (included with Ubuntu, but the new version from HP is wonderful) installed easily, and even gives me readoutsof the remaining ink. so it works better in ubuntu than it has in 10 years since I was running win2k.

brother works great. don't think I even installed the included drivers. just doesn'thave "toner saver" option, which looks like crap anyhow.

so printing in ubuntu is easier than with windows, in my experience.

steveneddy
April 10th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Hp

Kellemora
April 10th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I'm one that's NOT a fan of HP home products, won't allow anything new made by HP in my house, but hold on to the stuff we already have!

I just purchased a NEW Konica/Minolta Magicolor 1650EN Color Laser to replace the Minolta/QMS Magicolor 2300W!

It comes with a pair of Linux drivers for PostScript and PCL so it works great with CUPS AND unlike the 2300W You CAN change the cartridges from Linux or the onboard controls. The 2300W required a WinDOZE computer to change the cartridges, but ran perfect on Ubuntu Hardy!

The 2300W ran us about 12 cents per page, the new one 1650EN about 15 cents per page using new cartridges, refills of course or much less. Price was under 250 bucks new! SPEED is about 3 times faster than the 2300W, but more importantly, First Page Out is under 30 seconds, then they FLY.......

We've ran everything from Brother, Canon, Epson, Lexmark in a commercial setting without problems under Ubuntu, except for HP products which often won't even run on a WinDOZE computer with HP's LOGO on it, both of the same vintage!

My next printer will probably be another Minolta also!
I'm VERY PLEASED with them and their longevity, plus excellent customer service.

TTUL
Gary

Jive Turkey
April 10th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I recently got a Samsung ML-2525W monochrome laser printer. Samsung has a unified printer driver for linux. A good tutorial on the forums here details several ways to install it. Works flawlessly and is at the bottom of the price range for laser printers, not to mention wireless networked printers.

I had success with a cheap epson inkjet printer before it died, plugged it in and it worked.

A cheap cannon inkjet printer worked in one edition of ubuntu for me but not the next, as the driver had unsatisfiable dependencies.

Zill
April 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM
+1 for Samsung!

I use a Samsung ML-4500 laser. No problems - it "just works" :-)

DoricMan
April 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
My HP Photosmart D7260 Network printer was found and set up without a hitch. In the past my Canon iP3000 was more of a problem, but only after searching this and other forums.

Hope this helps.

DM

Paddy Landau
April 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I have the HP Officejet Pro 7780 connected to my network, and it works like a dream on with both Windows and Ubuntu. Its "Digital Filing" feature (scan directly from the scanner to the computer of your choice) is an absolute pleasure.

cogier
April 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I had a Canon that did not work with Ubuntu so when it died I went for HP because of the support. See attached picture of HPLIP.

There is no doubt that Canon make a better product than HP but they don't provide much in the way of drivers for Linux.

David Oxland
October 14th, 2012, 01:19 AM
After being an HP supporter for years I've had a failed and unrepairable problem with HP. The HP Laserjet P1102w does not come with a CD romdriver and further comes with a USB identifier that is not recognized by CUPS or HPLIP.
It disguises itself as an CDrom drive in order to download drivers. Doesn't work with Ubuntu and requires a fairly complex workaround.
I've been waiting on HPLIP and CUPS to come out with a fix and still not yet.
Their solution is to hook your printer up to a windoze machine and let it do a modeswitch which does not not last. It soon reverts to pretending to be a CDROM and so doesn't appear as a printer in Ubuntu environment. If you do a search on https://www.google.ca/search?aq=3&oq=HP+P1102w+Linux&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=hp+p1102w+linux+setup
I'm not an HP person anymore