PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Dual Monitors (Laptop Screen & Projector)

bellyoffire
April 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I visited this Dual Monitor thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174

It says to back up this file /etc/x11/xorg.conf I have the latest version of ubuntu and this file doesn't exist. So does this thread no longer work for newer versions?

I tried posting there but I can't, maybe its locked.

I'm fairly new to ubuntu. I just installed it this week. I need to use this Acer 3002lci for presentations on a projector.

It has the SiS M760GX.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

I plug in the projector to the VGA port. Both the laptop screen and the projector are on and it is cloned (everything I see on the laptop screen shows on the projector). I want the laptop screen to be the main screen and the projector to be the 2nd screen so I can project the open office presentations on it and drag things over to the 2nd screen (projector).

I looked in System > Display and it says unknown and only shows 1 monitor. How do I get to what I need to accomplish?

Thank you for your help

allenck
April 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM
try looking at the man xorg.conf page. It lists a number of alternative locations where the xorg.conf file resides.

Open a terminal screen and type: man xorg.conf